my Welsummers won't lay :( But now they do! 31 weeks

Mine are molting but the wait is worth is I had a great picture but lost it here is one of the eggs the others were super dark about like a good Marans! These are from Will Marrow his Wellie eggs are unusually dark.
4305_dscn0546.jpg

And here are the promised pics of the Welsummers. Not the best pictures
sad.png
They were too interested in what treats I might be hiding to be photographed, and the recent rain has everyone looking a little bedraggled. I did notice while trying to get these pics that the Welsummers seem to be losing tail feathers again. I haven't seen any pecking/feather eating (a problem we had for a week or so, but seemed to stop when I fed BOSS). Thanks for any ideas.

27831_dsc_0078.jpg

27831_dsc_0079.jpg

27831_dsc_0089.jpg

Beautiful egg Hcammack, thanks for posting that
smile.png
I really can't wait for these wellies to get rolling. We live near San Francisco and our weather isn't nearly cold enough for them to not lay over winter. The rain has started over the past few weeks so it's a big change from what they're used to... but that isn't stopping the other girls. I need to practice my patience some more!

And we're coming up on 28 weeks here now, and still not even a squat from my Wellsummers. I got another pretty blue egg today from the EE who is only 26 weeks, and in the box this time. Those wellie eggs had better be very, very pretty to make up for it when/if they finally get here.

My pullets were hatched April 22. I've got Welsummers, Marans and Barnevelders. I think the Barnies are laying (a red brick-colored egg) but nothin from the Wellies or the Marans yet. I'm making sure to give them at least 14 hours of light daily so they'll lay through the winter months
fl.gif
I hope to get them laying soon.

I'm right there with you. I have a SLW and a Wellsummer that were hatched on the same day in late March. The SLW has been laying for about 2 months now. Still NOTHING from Wellie. She is so beautiful that I've been letting it slide.
big_smile.png

Bil

28 weeks for the Welsummers, and still waiting. Also still waiting on one of my EE's. She laid a single egg 2+ weeks ago, but nothing since. Meanwhile her sister is giving me a lovely blue/green egg nearly every day for the past week. The barnie and the NN are each going 6+ eggs a week and have been for a month or more. Go figure.

Quote:
It's more likely that the Welsummers are laying the "red brick-colored egg" and you aren't getting any Barnie eggs yet. At one time the Barnie eggs were as dark and darker than Welsummers but they have lost that. Today most Barnie eggs are slightly darker than a Wyandotte egg. Barnie eggs are also more known for having a copper tinge to them whereas Welsummers are known for having the Terra Cotta (reddish-brown) color.

God Bless,

Mine are visually behind my other breeds as well (even though only one hen out of the whole batch has even laid any eggs yet, so it's not like anybody's "late" as such). I've just settled in for the wait.

They're so pretty that it's hard to get upset with them
smile.png
Plain pretty, not showy pretty, too, which I like a lot. I'm glad I got them.

Quote:
Oh gosh, I hope I get an egg like that. I had a speckled one hatch, so it's possible.

My wellies aren't giving me any eggs either. Of course they are only a week old.
lol.png
I just hope 2 are pullets.
fl.gif
1 for sure is a cockeral.

Back
Top Bottom