My White leghorn Rooster crowing at 3:00 A.M.

Wow, he truly is an early riser! His internal clock is in a different time zone Lol!

My outside motion lights come on all of the time due to rabbits, foxes, deer, etc. and I am fortunate that my chickens must have grown accustomed, so they are not crowing when the motion lights come on. It's really funny though, if I am in the house and turn a house light on, they realize I must be awake..."Hey the mealworm, blueberry, cabbage lady is up! Let's say hi!" so they will start crowing! Once I hear it, I quickly shut the light off & proceed to stub my toe getting something to drink in a dark kitchen, but upon lights out, the crows stop. Now this is interesting...The motion light is a heck of a lot brighter & closer to their coop. It illuminates the entire yard. The house light is further away, only showing through 1 window & probably resembles a dim moon rising, so it's really funny how they know the difference...which light means I'm up & about.

There are other things to consider though...possibly mice or other nocturnal visitors rummaging around outside, waking Roo up.

Night mites coming out of the woodwork to feast, biting your Roo.

A neighbor coming home, headlights will make them crow sometimes.

Since it is a PITA neighbor complaining, tell her yeah another neighbor is driving by & the car headlights wake up Roo. Who is driving around middle of the night? Shift worker or bar hopper? Lol. If there are no mites or mice, you may try curtains on the coop window.

Last edited:
It is sad that some people feel this way. I once heard the sorriest way to make yourself feel better is to make someone feel worse.
They also say misery loves company, people complaining often hang with other people complaining.

Some people just have a run of bad luck or lose loved ones & can get stuck in a cycle or mindset of depression, grief or misery, too, ya never know. Is it their personality? Negative habits from upbringing hearing others complain since childhood? Is it temporary or just the way they've always been & always will be? Either way it sucks when one lives next to ya. You can offer eggs, veggies, whatever, sometimes it works, most times not, they just are who they are. Sorry!

I think being fascinated by chickens. I am not bothered with Rooster crowing. Not even witnessing 100 of game roosters crowing has not irritated me! LOL

If the lights are on by the coop, might be best to turn them off. Roosters seem to trigger to make a crow because of light problem or hearing sudden movement at the night times.

Back
Top Bottom