My White Silkie Flock - thought I'd share!! =)

They are BEAUTIFUL!!! How long did it take before their puffs got that big??? I have a really pretty blue roo that I want to breed but I won't if his puff doesn't get any bigger, he's not yet fully grown. I just don't know how long it takes for them to completely fluff out ya' know??? I hope that someday my blue puffs are as pretty as your white ones!!!!!

Wow, they're beautiful, Lacey! Have you incubated any of your own eggs yet? I have only started incubating recently and the chicks that hatch from my own flock's eggs seem to do better. My oldest chick is all of 4 weeks old, so it's hard to know yet what the end result will be, but it's gotten me thinking that the strategy of buying pullets from quality breeders has its advantages over my not very successful attempts at hatching shipped eggs. I have 2 beautiful splash pullets that I ordered directly from HatTrick - complete splurge on my part, but they are beautiful and so nice to have around. They finally started laying about a week ago, so I moved an excellent quality Splash rooster in with them & one other pullet - I have them all in a tractor. It's exciting to anticipate what the future chicks might be like...

Laura

Hey Laura!

Yes, have started raising my own chicks out of these and I'm telling you WHAT! They are just drop dead GORGEOUS!! I'll have to get some pics up here in the next few days... I hatched 2 just for the fun of it and I have a boy and a girl... the girl is amazing! She has heavy feathering on all 5 toes, BIG crest already and is the fluffiest little thing you've ever seen! The boy I hatched out has the biggest crest I have ever seen on a boy only 8 weeks old! He has heavy, HEAVY feathering on all five toes and he is so handsome!! I'll work on getting pics up here soon.

I also find that buying quality hens and roosters that are mature is better.. but, if you can get a good hatch... I always find that's MY best way to go! I only make money if I sell a chicken... so, sometimes - buying eggs is just better for me... =] Good luck!!

Cuteness personified!
Would somebody please tell me how silkies see where they're going?!?!?!
JJ

haha.. I think a lot of people wonder that! I watch mine very carefully.. to make sure they are able to get their food and water ok... not bumping into things.. or just sitting in a corner 'cause they can't see... if any of these signs come up.. I'll "cut" the feathers around their eyes in a way that when you look at their crests.. you can't even tell that they've been cut! =] Sometimes it's a hard task - I have a couple frisky ones that need cut - and they do NOT like it when I cut around their eyes! haha...

They are BEAUTIFUL!!! How long did it take before their puffs got that big??? I have a really pretty blue roo that I want to breed but I won't if his puff doesn't get any bigger, he's not yet fully grown. I just don't know how long it takes for them to completely fluff out ya' know??? I hope that someday my blue puffs are as pretty as your white ones!!!!!

Aw, Thank you!!

hmm... let's see.. mine are all about 6 months+... I find that after about a year or so is when they really start maturing! But, I also find that some of my boys and girls who don't get a nice, big rounded crest by 8 or so months isn't going to have one. But, sometimes I'm fooled... hehe...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks so much to everyone for your comments on my birds!!

~Lacey​

Hope-thanks so much! That makes me feel better. My sweet baby is probably only 4 months old and his is getting bigger. Maybe I will have a Stay Puff man after all:)

Quote:
You're welcome and good luck with him!! =]

I'm sold. Gotta get me some o' those puffballs this spring.

hehe.. yay! I have brought another one to the addiction of puffballs!!
big_smile.png
lol...
I got hooked the moment I saw them too!! Just be very aware of where you get them.
smile.png

excellent birds.

Aw, Thank you! I take pride in my silkies!! hehe..

Thanks again for all your comments everyone!!
~Lacey​

Hello Lacey
Thier beautiful, How do you keep them so clean and white looking?
My white silkie hen is always looking for somethig to get on her. Her crest looks like a punk rocker most the time all spiked out form any water she can find. Thanks for the pictures. Dennis

Back
Top Bottom