My whole flock has eaten avocado tree leaves! Help!

Danashaw

Hatching
Apr 19, 2020
I have an avocado orchard on my property and my hens have never free ranged out of their coop/run. I have never fed them avocado because I had heard it was dangerous for them. I recently extended their run since I will be getting 5 new chickens to add to my flock. I had one small avocado tree that has not been producing fruit and I decided leave it in the new run to provide shade...unknowing that the leaves and buds are toxic. My 5 chickens have eaten many leaves and buds off the tree in the past week since they got in the new extension. They now have slight diarrhea, have been sneezing and one has a slight wheezing. I now know that the persin in the tree is very toxic and have removed it from the run. Is there anything I can do for my chickens? Is it likely that they will die or may they recover?

I have an avocado orchard on my property and my hens have never free ranged out of their coop/run. I have never fed them avocado because I had heard it was dangerous for them. I recently extended their run since I will be getting 5 new chickens to add to my flock. I had one small avocado tree that has not been producing fruit and I decided leave it in the new run to provide shade...unknowing that the leaves and buds are toxic. My 5 chickens have eaten many leaves and buds off the tree in the past week since they got in the new extension. They now have slight diarrhea, have been sneezing and one has a slight wheezing. I now know that the persin in the tree is very toxic and have removed it from the run. Is there anything I can do for my chickens? Is it likely that they will die or may they recover?
Welcome To BYC

Can you seek vet care or consultation?

http://www.chickendvm.com/poisonous/avocado

How are your girls now? I just got an avocado tree not knowing it was poisonous and now I dont know what to do

Back
Top Bottom