My whole flock was killed last night, please help me

I'm so sorry, what a terrible experience. Here, we would suspect a fox, they will kill a lot of birds in spring, especially if there are kits, They take them away and lightly bury them and eat at their leisure over the next weeks letting the bodies ripen.

If you have the heart for it, you should be able to fnd the burial sites which will be along their food trail. I'm also sorry to say they will come back for more, they tend to clean out a site and store food to raise the kits before moving on. I sue hope you can improve your biosecurity, I can only imagine your pain.

I just posted a question about using a baby monitor to keep track of what's going on in our coop at night. Is there a way you could do that tonight so you can at least get some sleep? I just feel so bad for you! I wish I could give you some of these chicks I have.

I'll tell you what. If it is any consolation...reading this post of yours while we're in the middle of building our coop and strengthening the garden shed it's in is making us rethink a few things. I've learned a good bit from reading this thread and I wanted you to know that. I know that doesn't bring your chickens and ducks back, but just know that lots of beginners will learn a lot about predators and things to do to protect their flocks.

My heart goes out to you.

You could try leaving a radio on in the barn. Just leave it on a talk show station. Sometimes hearing human voices will keep them out. I would also go look around outside. Somewhere there has to be evidence of what went on. But my guess would be foxes or bobcats.

with the heads bit off could only be 1 of 3 varmitts,a coon possum or weasel.all 3 bite the heads off an drink the blood.an eat part of the bodies if they have time.i do know this more than 1 varmitt did the killing.sorry that you got wiped out.

OMG! I just read about the predator problem! I've had coons in the past too, and they show NO mercy.

I'll get the eggs out to ya tomorrow, and I'll make sure you get LOTS! Take care...

PS: Your inbox is FULL!

sad.png

Sorry for your loss.

I had lost some chickens like you they were without a trace, I thought it was a fox. Were I have my chicken is in a old trailer I converted into a hen house. What I did was to close the door and remove the window so the chickens to fly out of the trailer window and get back in to roost at night.

I know that it does help much just that you know we all are in this together.

Last edited:
that happened to my dad once.. exept it wasnt an animal... it was a human.. someone raded his barn and coop and took as many of the chicks and chickens as he could and hit their heads with bats and slitted their throughts with a knife.. (sry for the groosum detail..) i hope thats not what happened to you.

So sorry for your loss. Once you figure out what it is...if you want some rouen duck eggs, let me know, and I'll be happy to help out.
Kristi

Back
Top Bottom