My Wichita Coop Build

So we got a call from our friend that we have lost everything :(
seems as if while on vacation the heat lamp fell or something and it was a total loss along with all my chickens...
we had someone watching them to make sure nothing was trying to eat them and that they had food and water.....
she was there 5 hours before i got the call.
I am saddened that the chickens did not make it out....
I will be home sunday to see this in person :(

Thank you! I am saddened that this happened, i thought i would come home and finish the nest boxes and finish painting not have to start all over with no chickens, especially when i had one poof ball that followed me like a puppy :(

So sorry. We secure our lamps when we do use them with those plastic clips, nailing them over the cord. There is no way a lamp will fall or get knocked down. Those poor chickens. Will you start over? :(

Oh Bummer!! How devastating to see this when you are away from home!

There are other options for chick warming instead of a heat lamp that are much less likely to cause fire... if the power is sourced correctly.
Look at the brinsea or premiere heat plates.

I'm so sorry for your loss, your poor birds and all the work you did. I am glad to hear you say you will start again. Now that I've had chickens, I can't imagine not having them, they are so worth the work, time and energy. Hang in there, you've had a set back but you can make a go of it. Please keep us posted on how you're coming along.

Sorry about your loss...

There are heating mats available... You can get mats like you would use under your seed germination trays.... I have germinated seeds and the mats get up to about 95 deg F... the heat can be less if you insulate it, or raise it up for a radiant heat source... then you can germinate seeds or grow oats for the chickens to feed on... Or put it under your wife's feet while she sits at the computer... (how do I know that)...
Think about installing them between cement board... something fire proof anyway... and chicken proof...

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-CK6...mats+for+germinating+seeds&pebp=1418486532345

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom