My Wyandottes have turned into Velociraptors!

Kriquet

Chirping
14 Years
Jun 27, 2009
Kansas City
Anyone else notice that even week-old fuzzy bums turn into little predatory creatures when tempted with mealworms???
ep.gif

They REALLY do act (and look a little bit like) Velociraptors!

The little Australorp and Favorelle have to hit Mach 1 in order to beat the GL and SL Wyandottes when it comes to treat time!

Totally cracks me up!
gig.gif

A little tidbit I've discovered is that you can get 500 mealworms WAY cheaper at Wild Birds Unlimited than you can them at Petsmart or other pet stores!
wink.png

Or raise your own, then they are really cheap! I have never given my babies worms, I'm in the millions of bugs stage right now. Whenever they get busy laying eggs though, I'm hosting a mini-chicken football party!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Ok - dumb question - but HOW do you raise your own mealworms??
hu.gif

And another dumb question to follow the first...what do you mean by 'post sillybirds here on BYC'?

Thank you!
big_smile.png

There is a member named sillybirds that has listed some mealworms for sale.

Raising mealworms is easy. Do a search on here, and one on youtube, and you'll get all sorts of info! The hardest part is getting the starter worms!
smile.png

But that is what sillybirds does. I bought a starter kit from him and extra worms and am raising my own for my birds. Sooooo easy. And he send directions.

Quote:
Oh my guys did that yesterday! My two 14 week old silkies went screaming down the pen to where the coop is, Ruby Rose, Big Red and Fluffy Butt (my RIRxIsa Brown POL girls) looked up and there was a largeish mouse/small rat eating away at a left over corn cob. I start screaming for the dogs and then the girls took off! It was on! it was horrible, it was mouse guts everywhere! I had to give them baths!
sickbyc.gif

I got a light starter kit from "sillybirds" here and I would definitely recommend it. There is sale thread on it that you can find with the search feature. I would definitely recommend it - great seller - great worms and starter kit. The lightweight starter kit comes with everything the full starter kit does except for the containers and the wheat bran. I wanted to get my own of those items because it would be cheaper on shipping and I can choose my own system of mealworm farm. Instructions are also sent with the kit and the mealworms are cheaper than other online/local sources. I think that it's very cost effective to raise your own mealworms if you plan on giving your birds lots of mealy treats because they can go through so many in the blink of an eye and beg for more! It's also nice to know where the bird's food is coming from!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom