Mycoplasma and Coryza nasty Respiratory desease Please Hlp

harischooks

Hatching
Jan 20, 2016
Hello everyone, my name is haris Im new here and in desperate need of vital advice. After several years in back yard poultry, I have never seen such severe disease.
After sanitising, applied disinfectant( vinegar and other commercial formula) on my chicken coop.
The disease reoccurs. Possibly from new hatchlings bought from some local farm. From 60 eggs most hatched and 90% had to be put down others died after several days whislt few remain with Symptoms are gasping for air, sneezing. In more cases , excessive sneezing LOUD, and several got FLUID DISCHARGE OF EYE AND NOSTRILS.

I did quarantine the sick birds soon after symptoms appeared, only few recovered, whilst every the decease spread like wild fire within 1 week, by then 80% had died. I'm thinking of starting again and yes I will visit my VET only I could not afford one at the time.
I have heard here in Australia its quite common. Have any of you encountered such a nasty deadly virus.? I hope not for the chooks sake.
Any advice would be welcoming. H. (sorry for the long exhaustive description).

Welcome to BYC, and sorry that you have had such bad luck in having chickens. Sorry for your loss. With respiratory diseases whether viral or bacterial, most of them can make each flock member a carrier for life, so the disease just perpetuates if any birds are left when new ones are added. It would be good to get some sick birds tested or a necropsy done to find out what disease(s) that you are seeing. Mycoplasma gallisepticum and synovitis (MG and MS,) infectious bronchitis, infectious coryza, ILT (infectious laryngo-tracheitis,) and aspergillosis from mold are the most common ones. Many of the respiratory disease organisms can only survive for several days in the environment, so removal and culling of sick birds, cleaning and disinfecting the equipment, and waiting several weeks to get healthy chicks would be best.These can be further complicated by secondary infections including E.coli and others. Here is some reading about the common diseases:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
https://umaine.edu/livestock/poultry/mycoplasma-gallisepticum-faq/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom