Mycoplasma and management - Advice, experience please!

gmjarvi

Songster
Feb 11, 2020
Upper Peninsula, Michigan
Hey all,

I have been suspecting that my flock is mycoplasma positive and have been kind of hemming and hawing about what to do since at this point we are only utilizing the flock for eating eggs.

Here's some background information: I started my flock a year ago with some adult birds from a local chicken lady, not suspecting to totally get bit by the poultry bug. I just wanted some egg laying hens (famous last words, right?). When I went to pick out the hens, I noticed some sneezing but didn't think anything of it (animals sneeze sometimes, yeah?). Fast forward a few weeks and some of the birds were snotty and had some rattling in their chest, but everybody was laying as well as one could expect a flock to lay in November in upper Michigan. Everybody recovered and not knowing any better, I chalked it up to a "cold." Nobody died.

Then I got bit by the poultry bug, and began introducing more birds, all from NPIP breeders or hatcheries (although my understanding is that an MG free hatchery is very rare?). They would always start out fine, then get a respiratory illness, and then recover. Nobody in my flock has ever died from illness.

The weather has turned to cold and snow again, and I am noticing an uptick of respiratory illness symptoms. More sneezing, some birds have excess mucus, a couple have some bubbles in their eyes, and my favorite rooster (hatched on my property from NPIP breeder egg) has been shaking his head in a way I've never seen him do before. Because new birds tend to get sick after being introduced to my flock, and symptoms tend to flare up when the weather shifts (leading to stress, I'm sure), I am thinking some sort of CRD is the culprit.

I do want to send out some samples to the extension lab in my state, just to confirm or deny my suspicion, but after that I am really at a loss for what to do. Our long term goals include 4H for my son, and a couple of other small breeding programs. NPIP is something I am interested in way down the line, and I dont believe my state worries about mycoplasma for certification.

My egg layers free range, which is not something I am willing to give up other than in the case of breeding pens. My understanding is that it is virtually impossible to keep a free range flock free of mycoplasma. Does anybody do 4H (or shows) or breed their birds and also free range? Is your flock mycoplasma free? What are your biosecurity measures? Realistically, is it even possible to have biosecurity measures for a free range flock?

I'm also not willing to treat with antibiotics; I would rather just cull. I'm wondering if I can slowly phase out this flock by closing it and culling symptomatic birds whenever I notice them. Then once I'm out of birds, I would clean and sanitize the coops and wait a month before starting fresh. This would also allow me to refocus on the breeds that I've come to love and would like to breed in the future.

One of my concerns is that my nieces, who have their own flock, love my chickens and always want to play with them when they come over. They like to call themselves my "chicken apprentices" haha. I would be so sad to have to tell them they aren't allowed to interact with my birds anymore if I do get to a point where we're mycoplasma free. Would it be enough for them to have their own clothes and barn shoes here, and to wash their hands before and after handling birds? I've read that humans can carry MG in their noses?!

How realistic is it to keep a flock mycoplasma free? I have read numerous threads and websites about these diseases and there seem to be two camps. Either it is abhorrent and immoral to have an open flock with mycoplasma, or virtually all flocks have mycoplasma and there's nothing you can do about it, especially if you free range or participate in shows/fairs or buy your feed from the store.

Hopefully some of you can lend me some insight, advice, experience, etc! Thanks!

I am having some of the same issues with one of my pens of growouts/chicks. Some have bubbly eyes, some are hunched over, some have scabs on their combs, (and one has a scab on it’s beak) one has a swollen eye and some are completely fine. I checked their throats they don’t have anything in them. Some of these birds I was going to use for my breeding pen to sell hatching eggs and chicks, and now I am wondering if I should cull all in that pen and just restart. Luckily I could because I have other birds I can hatch eggs from. But it’s frustrating because some of them are rare breeds! I don’t know what to do!

Hopefully someone with some insight will chime in for us! If these diseases are truly as common and widespread as I've been led to believe through my internet searches, it seems attempting to keep any flock free of it would be futile, even if you keep your birds locked up. :confused:

What did you do? Did you cull them?

I am having some of the same issues with one of my pens of growouts/chicks. Some have bubbly eyes, some are hunched over, some have scabs on their combs, (and one has a scab on it’s beak) one has a swollen eye and some are completely fine. I checked their throats they don’t have anything in them. Some of these birds I was going to use for my breeding pen to sell hatching eggs and chicks, and now I am wondering if I should cull all in that pen and just restart. Luckily I could because I have other birds I can hatch eggs from. But it’s frustrating because some of them are rare breeds! I don’t know what to do!
What did you do? Did you cull them?
I think there are a couple symptoms in your flock that don't match up with mycoplasma. Mainly the swollen eyes and scabby combs. Swollen eyes and lesions on combs could be fowl pox. Fowl pox is a virus spread by mosquitos (not sure of your location/if mosquitos are an issue this time of year for you), but it typically clears up on its own.

Another possibility with the swollen eyes is coryza, which often presents with eyes swollen shut and thick mucus draining from the nares. This is caused by bacteria, is often chronic (birds are carriers for life), but can't be passed through the eggs like mycoplasma. Treatment involves antibiotics. Antibiotics are something I'm not personally willing to give to my flock since we eat their eggs, and I don't think food and antibiotics should mingle. I think some people do an egg withdrawal for antibiotics, and resume eating them once the antibiotics are no longer in the system, but that assumes that 100% of the harmful bacteria have been killed and are not resistant to antibiotics, which may not be the case if the antibiotics were not administered properly. On an organic farm, once an animal receives antibiotics it can no longer be used for organic food products and can only be sold as conventional. And many conventional meat products are eschewing antibiotics these days, too. It's just not something I'm willing to do for a flock that provides me with food.

My decision making process in your case would probably be dependent on diagnosis and exactly how rare the breeds are. I think there is a lot of misinformation about "rare" breeds because large hatcheries want to make a buck and charge more for more desirable birds, and scarcity is an effective marketing tactic. Have you checked your breeds against the livestock conservancy breed list? If they aren't listed under critical or threatened, I probably wouldn't take their rarity into consideration if my flock's health and safety were on the line. Even so, chronic, infectious illness may be grounds for culling even rarer breeds. I'd send in samples if I weren't able to rule out infectious bacterial disease. If I could confidently say it's fowl pox, I probably wouldn't do anything except close the flock until everyone is asymptomatic.

As for my flock, nobody is currently symptomatic, but I am likely going to send in some samples in the spring (too stressful to do it now for both me and the birds; it's cold!) to see if they are carriers for mycoplasma (I'm not worried about coryza, my flock doesn't have the right symptoms for it). Then I'll make a decision based on the results and what my state recommends. If even one bird in my flock tests positive, that means I can pretty much assume they all have it. I think the quickest way to be done with it is to cull the entire flock (if even one tests positive, they likely all have it or will get it at some point), but that's also heartbreaking AND a significant investment loss. If my state says mycoplasma isn't a big deal then I might not do anything about it, even though that may be seen as controversial on this website. If my birds are going to get it anyway (via wild birds, 4H/fairs, etc.) then why make such a fuss about it? Hence my big question up top: how realistic is it to keep a flock mycoplasma free?

I was hoping someone would be able to speak from experience about how realistic it is, but :confused: either nobody has an opinion or my thread got buried lol.

Back
Top Bottom