Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG)

Gammas Bearded Babies

Crossing the Road
May 24, 2021
Middle Tennessee
I had posted few weeks ago regarding my 8 wk old silkie sneezing, lethargic, isolating. Still eating and drinking as normal though.
She completely fine the last week or two.
The horomonal cockrel left for new home yesterday. I believe he was stressing her out badly. They used to be very close then he decided to torment her constantly. When I was able to separate them for a few hours off and on she would seemingly do better.
I also got them moved to their new open air coop/run. And we had a large storm last night.
2 out of 3 silkies are sneezing this morning but otherwise eating and drinking just as normal.
Could this be MG with the coming and going of symptoms and the recent stress of move, changes within flock, etc?
IF SO, I read here regarding an herb known as Meniran herbs (Phyllanthus Niruri L.).
Has anyone ever heard of this or tried it?

https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/feed-health/the-truth-about-mycoplasma-and-chickens/

Last edited:
Very good article. Have not made any tinctures but wouldn't mind too try. I do add oregano extract to their water getting closer to fall and winter months. Being able to prevent it is the key like the article says. I would also get a prescription from your vet of tylan just to have on hand if it gets worse.

It could be MG or some other respiratory illness/ailment.

You mention going to new open air coop and rain/storm. How much open air? Are they in a coop or run?

If all are eating/drinking with an occasional sneeze, then I would not treat anything. See if the symptoms improve.

Have no idea about remedies, herbs, etc. If you think it may help, then the only way to know would be to try and see. Let us know your results.

Tylan/Tylosin, Denagard and Tetracyclines can be used to treat symptoms. If you are dealing with respiratory illness, then yes, there's a possibility that birds can become symptomatic throughout their lifetime and pass the illness on to any new additions.
Any of these antibiotics can be ordered online, up to you whether it's something to keep on hand if you feel you may want to treat symptoms in the future. Culling very sick birds is another option.

I agree with everything stated above. I have used Tyan and it worked great. I also suggest not rehoming anymore birds if you suspect any respiratory illness. You could have just potentially infected the entire flock that the cockerel joined. MG makes the chickens carrier for life so if you do believe it may be that then you will need to close your flock, no new birds in and no live birds out b

Yeah just occasional sneeze here and there. That's why I think it is stress related...nowhere near like she was that first time few weeks ago.
You mention going to new open air coop and rain/storm. How much open air? Are they in a coop or run?
Their pre-fab original coop is inside the new open air...so they are tending to remain in there and use open air area more for foraging.

Attachments

• 20210729_170847.jpg
    20210729_170847.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Yeah just occasional sneeze here and there. That's why I think it is stress related...nowhere near like she was that first time few weeks ago.

Their pre-fab original coop is inside the new open air...so they are tending to remain in there and use open air area more for foraging.
How was she the first time? Mine do seem to sneeze often but haven't had it as bad as the first time.

It could be MG or some other respiratory illness/ailment.

If all are eating/drinking with an occasional sneeze, then I would not treat anything. See if the symptoms improve.

Have no idea about remedies, herbs, etc. If you think it may help, then the only way to know would be to try and see. Let us know your results.

Tylan/Tylosin, Denagard and Tetracyclines can be used to treat symptoms. If you are dealing with respiratory illness, then yes, there's a possibility that birds can become symptomatic throughout their lifetime and pass the illness on to any new additions.
Any of these antibiotics can be ordered online, up to you whether it's something to keep on hand if you feel you may want to treat symptoms in the future. Culling very sick birds is another option.
Tylan need a prescription tried to order online can't find one with out a prescription the water Soluble stuff not the injectable. Unless you know some other links I can buy from? Besides ebay and ordering from Bulgaria

Tylan need a prescription tried to order online can't find one with out a prescription the water Soluble stuff not the injectable. Unless you know some other links I can buy from? Besides ebay and ordering from Bulgaria
You can give the injectable orally. Depending on which one you get (50 or 200) will depend on the dosage. If they're just sneezing then I wouldn't treat them. Tylan will not get rid of MG. It will just help with the symptoms. They will have MG for life.

Sneezing, laying around and distant from others in flock for day or two.
It's just an occasional sneeze not constant at all.
The only way to know.for.sure.would be to have a bird tested if one dies. Mine occasionally sneeze now but haven't had symptoms.hit as hard as the first time.

Back
Top Bottom