Mycoplasma gallisepticum? Or irritated eyes?

Egg Snatcher

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 11, 2020
SW Missouri
Two of my chicken have bubbles in their eye. I whyped the bubbles out twist yesterday. It's better today. I just noticed it yesterday. They are both about 7 months old. It's been pretty dusty here, could it just be irritated eyes? They are quarantined. The sebright does not close her eyes. She was being shy with the camera. They seem fine other than their eyes.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    486.2 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    471.6 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    526.6 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    451.5 KB · Views: 4
should i just cull them or let them be?
I have it in one of my flocks, at least one flock, which is the mixed flock coop. I haven't noticed it in any of my other birds.

It can be treated with antibiotics, or you can vaccinate your birds at a young age.

I won't use antibiotics, because I want my birds to be antibiotic free, & I also sell eggs for eating. If I use any type of antibiotics, I go for naturally occurring antibiotics in plants, such as oregano, & marigolds.

MG will show it's ugly face when there's stress in the flock.

I agree with you, I try to keep them organic. I'm not sure what to do then. I don't know why they would stressed.
Any new birds, such as chicks been introduced? A change in feeding, schedule? Has their housing been updated, & abit different from what they're used too?

Can you get them tested to see if the bubbles and facial swelling are MG? Is there a bad odor in the faces, or do they smell normal? Have you added any new birds to your flock in recent weeks? MG symptoms can show up 6-10 days or longer after exposure to a carrier. Tylosin for pigeons ordered online from Jedds.com can help treat symptoms of MG. Here is some information about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Any new birds, such as chicks been introduced? A change in feeding, schedule? Has their housing been updated, & abit different from what they're used too?
I only moved one dog house top. They are usually fine with the coop getting reaganed. There is a dig dog that has been like tied up close to them. Ok so they will MG carriers, but will they spread it to the other chickens if treated properly? Will the chickens and chicks build a immunity to MG? I've been washing my shoes, hands, arms, legs, and change my close after being around them is that ok? I have also been washing any door or cage handles I touch so no one in my family can spread it.

Can you get them tested to see if the bubbles and facial swelling are MG? Is there a bad odor in the faces, or do they smell normal? Have you added any new birds to your flock in recent weeks? MG symptoms can show up 6-10 days or longer after exposure to a carrier. Tylosin for pigeons ordered online from Jedds.com can help treat symptoms of MG. Here is some information about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/_docs/programs/poultry/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
I don't know about the testing. No bad Oder to the face. No new birds. And I have not got any new chicks (from store) sences March. And now new adult dirks were a added. Is there an or ganic why to treat them.

Back
Top Bottom