Mycoplasma gallisepticum? Please help.

Thank you for the link. it was very helpful!
I did read that MG can slow the growth rate. I did recently lose one of the pullets. She was much smaller than the rest, and her wings were too big for her body. Is that concerning?
I'm hoping to get them tested through the state poultry testing services, but I believe the birds for testing have to be at least 16 weeks of age, so I would't be able to get the pullets living in a separate coop tested, as they are about 6 weeks of age.
I would go from coop to coop, and it's pretty likely that I had feces on my shoes. According to the link, MG can be spread through the chickens excretions.
Would it be ok to move some pullets to the adjacent coop to give them some space, or is there no hope that they don't have whatever this is?

MG can show up within 6-10 days or more after being exposed. I think you need to do what you need to do to make more room. Just make sure the sick hen is isolated away from the others. Here is more reading:
https://thepoultrysite.com/disease-...tion-m-g-chronic-respiratory-disease-chickens
Ok, thank you. Yeah, those pullets are getting really active lol.
I can isolate the sick one, but I've seen quite a few sneezing, and some with rales. I honestly wonder if it'd make a difference at this point.
Thank you so much for all your help so far!

It might not make a difference. It can be common to have a flock with birds who are carriers of MG. Some cull sick birds. You can treat symptoms with certain antibiotics. I would think about getting some Tylosin to treat the sick birds from here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
It doesn’t cure MG, but can treat symptoms if given 3-5 days in their water. Most people close their flocks to new birds or to birds leaving the flock.

I was afraid of that..:(
I will get them tested, hopefully the results come back negative. If not, I don't know what I'm going to do. I (used) to breed and sell birds, but I stopped as soon as I noticed the symptoms. I don't want to cull the whole flock, as we're very fond of a few, but I need them for the eggs, the meat, and to sell, so keeping a closed flock that I need to treat with antibiotics doesn't work for me.:hit
How often would I have to treat with antibiotics?
I don't know what I'm going to do.

So do you think it's MG?
Gahh.. I don't want to cull, but keeping a closed flock doesn't seem to be reasonable for me. :barnie :he
If I decided to keep a closed flock and treat with antibiotics, how often would I have to treat?
I won't cull until I get test results. Hopefully this somehow isn't MG.

What I've learned throughout several years of experience is that some chickens are actually immune to MG. Or maybe not immune, but they do not develop any symptoms whatsoever. They may still be carriers, but do not get sick. This is why I would not worry too much about the others in your coop. Just be vigilant and check on them regularly. You can still eat their eggs and their meat, no issues here. As far as selling is concerned then it's a different story.
One of the antibiotics I use is called doxycycline (in Poland where I live the brand name is Doxyhyklan and I believe the US brand name is Doxyvet) and it seems to be the most reliable and very effective. You can buy it as powder and mix it with water or if the symptoms are serious the vet should give the chicken a shot which usually helps immensely.

What I've learned throughout several years of experience is that some chickens are actually immune to MG. Or maybe not immune, but they do not develop any symptoms whatsoever. They may still be carriers, but do not get sick. This is why I would not worry too much about the others in your coop. Just be vigilant and check on them regularly. You can still eat their eggs and their meat, no issues here. As far as selling is concerned then it's a different story.
One of the antibiotics I use is called doxycycline (in Poland where I live the brand name is Doxyhyklan and I believe the US brand name is Doxyvet) and it seems to be the most reliable and very effective. You can buy it as powder and mix it with water or if the symptoms are serious the vet should give the chicken a shot which usually helps immensely.
Really? That's interesting.
I will check on them regularly.
My problem is I don't want to eat eggs or meat from chickens treated with antibiotics. And I breed and sell.
I'll stop selling until I know what this is, and have dealt with it.
ThanK you for the info on the antibiotics. I'm considering them for the two that look the worst.

Back
Top Bottom