Mycoplasma gallisepticum? Please help.

Pics

GermanKennhuhn

Crossing the Road
8 Years
Oct 10, 2015
New England
Hi folks,
Yesterday one of my chickens had gurgley breathing, and was sneezing. Today I noticed foam in one chickens eye, and another one’s eye looked very watery.
CECBA40E-7D7D-4837-8457-90216320DF69.jpeg
F4718757-8D0A-4004-90CE-421B51FFDFDE.jpeg

Please tell me this isn’t MG. I have a feeling it is though.
None of them are acting sick.
Thanks in advance.

Sorry that the chicken is worse, and that you have lost a pullet. The pullet can be sent to the state lab for testing and a necropsy, and if the first sick chicken is more ill, I would cull her as well. Some state vets will do a necropsy on 2-3 birds for the price of one. Wrap the chickens in double garbage bags and keep them cold in a cooler or refrigerator, but do not freeze them. Here is a list of state vets that includes yours:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

I'm glad they are doing better, but the fact that the state hasn't gotten back to you is absolutely apalling. MG is a serious disease, but it is 100% curable. You have to give them some proper antibiotics, but for now you can give them some garlic juice water. Take one head, squeeze it and then mix the juice with water (5 liters which I believe is a little over 1 gallon). It's a natural antibiotic and while it won't cure MG, it may help alleviate some of the symptoms.

It's not curable. They will be carriers for life. Antibiotics may reduce/remove the current symptoms, but the symptoms will appear again in times of stress and the disease can impact egg production.

It might not make a difference. It can be common to have a flock with birds who are carriers of MG. Some cull sick birds. You can treat symptoms with certain antibiotics. I would think about getting some Tylosin to treat the sick birds from here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
It doesn’t cure MG, but can treat symptoms if given 3-5 days in their water. Most people close their flocks to new birds or to birds leaving the flock.

I hope your tests come back with something more manageable, but meanwhile, and always, it's about practicing good biosecurity. All the birds you have are already exposed to whatever's going on, so your birds, chicks, and hatching eggs are not salable, and can't leave your farm.
If you don't already, your barn boots and clothes need to only be used on your farm, and not leave to go elsewhere.
If the tests come back positive for MG, I'm so sorry, and would be crying too, and seriously consider depopulating the flock. At least if it's MG, that will solve the problem, unlike Marek's disease, for example, which is present for a year or longer.
Also, if the tests come back inconclusive, have the state lab necropsy one of your sick birds, which will give a complete picture.
Again, I'm so sorry,
Mary

Back
Top Bottom