Mycoplasma gallisepticum? Please help.

Well, you should NEVER eat the eggs of hens that are CURRENTLY on an antibiotic. These eggs - you can either throw them away or simply hard boil them and feed them to your chickens. The eggs are good to eat after 8-10 days.

I hope your tests come back with something more manageable, but meanwhile, and always, it's about practicing good biosecurity. All the birds you have are already exposed to whatever's going on, so your birds, chicks, and hatching eggs are not salable, and can't leave your farm.
If you don't already, your barn boots and clothes need to only be used on your farm, and not leave to go elsewhere.
If the tests come back positive for MG, I'm so sorry, and would be crying too, and seriously consider depopulating the flock. At least if it's MG, that will solve the problem, unlike Marek's disease, for example, which is present for a year or longer.
Also, if the tests come back inconclusive, have the state lab necropsy one of your sick birds, which will give a complete picture.
Again, I'm so sorry,
Mary

I hope your tests come back with something more manageable, but meanwhile, and always, it's about practicing good biosecurity. All the birds you have are already exposed to whatever's going on, so your birds, chicks, and hatching eggs are not salable, and can't leave your farm.
If you don't already, your barn boots and clothes need to only be used on your farm, and not leave to go elsewhere.
If the tests come back positive for MG, I'm so sorry, and would be crying too, and seriously consider depopulating the flock. At least if it's MG, that will solve the problem, unlike Marek's disease, for example, which is present for a year or longer.
Also, if the tests come back inconclusive, have the state lab necropsy one of your sick birds, which will give a complete picture.
Again, I'm so sorry,
Mary
Thanks for replying.
Ok, thank you for the tips. I’ll make sure to do that.
I really hope they don’t come back positive. I’m so torn. I don’t want to cull, but it doesn’t make sense for me to keep a closed flock.:he
Yeah, I guess that’s good.
Alright. Thank you very much for your help.

This is the one with the watery eye today:
91BA7043-A6DB-4423-87E7-5BD2AA7696BF.jpeg

It looks kinda swollen, doesn’t it?:(

Oh no. :(
She eats and drinks fine, but she is less active than normal.
I feel so bad for her. She already has a bone deformity in her neck, so it’s always to the side. (See below)
I’m still waiting to schedule :he
I called the state lab, and they said they’d forward my number to the inspector for my area. I’m waiting for the inspector to call still.
3E0D32C4-657B-443C-8AB2-3595A5FA5927.jpeg

Last edited:
The pullet with the watery eye isn’t looking so good today.. :(
7ED9C0AF-2FD4-4086-B2A5-3C91E4CBBD9E.jpeg
CBC3BDB9-CE5F-4DFD-8963-06E5BFBB8ABB.jpeg

There’s a lot of mucus coming from her eye.
And there seems to be white stuff in it.
35A78E3E-760C-480A-80CF-3CB3A5020974.jpeg

E54B9CE2-679A-4C43-95E3-E26E67C360C1.jpeg

I also lost one of the 6 week old pullets that I moved into their new coop yesterday.
I found it this morning. It was already stiff. There was shavings in its beak, and a little blood around it’s beak.
FE1161AE-72AB-493C-B684-0FB6FE902A0F.jpeg

9890F55C-B7C6-43AF-8F5D-57C4E14C0786.jpeg

Someone help me.

I hate to say it, but this is most likely MG. I dealt with MS a few months ago in chicks that I picked up from a local breeder. The good news is that you don't have to give up on your other flock yet! There is the possibility that your other birds aren't sick! We ended up culling the sick chicks. It saved our established flock. Here is the link if you want to see the detailed process we went through.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/respiratory-problems-help.1386607/

Back
Top Bottom