Mycoplasma

DWilkins

Songster
11 Years
Sep 10, 2012
I have a sikie rooster with MP. Bubbles in the eyes and face swelling. I purchased Tylosin powder. I would like to give him some directly and also add
it to the water.Is there an amount that I can mix with his yogurt and give to him orally?He is less then 2 pounds.Thank you!

I have a sikie rooster with MP. Bubbles in the eyes and face swelling. I purchased Tylosin powder. I would like to give him some directly and also add
it to the water.Is there an amount that I can mix with his yogurt and give to him orally?He is less then 2 pounds.Thank you!
Tylosin powder dosage is 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. Since you are treating just one bird, then mix 1 quart of water to 1/4 teaspoon Tylosin powder. Syringe the mixed solution into him several times a day in addition to him drinking the water.

If he has bubbles in the eyes, general care would be to flush the eyes with saline 2-3 times a day to help keep the bubbles and pus accumulation out. If need be, you can also apply an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye to help with infection.

Tylosin powder dosage is 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. Since you are treating just one bird, then mix 1 quart of water to 1/4 teaspoon Tylosin powder. Syringe the mixed solution into him several times a day in addition to him drinking the water.

If he has bubbles in the eyes, general care would be to flush the eyes with saline 2-3 times a day to help keep the bubbles and pus accumulation out. If need be, you can also apply an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye to help with infection.
Thank you!

Wanted to ask you. If I can get this under control will the swelling on the side of his beak near his eye go away?

Many times it will go down with the antibiotic. If it does not go down right away, then there might be pus inside the sinus behind the eye that needs to come out.

Wanted to ask you. If I can get this under control will the swelling on the side of his beak near his eye go away?
Can you offer some advice on how to drain it? He had two injections of Tylan 50 from the vet and I am still giving him the Tylosin. Can I continue this for 5-7 days as well? I will continue to my monitor the swelling . Thank you !

Can you post any pictures? How long has the swelling been there? Here is a very graphic video of someone squeezing pus out of a chicken's eye:

Hopefully it won’t come to that.

I have these

Attachments

• ABAF00D5-9C3C-482F-8289-88CBAD102F7C.jpeg
    ABAF00D5-9C3C-482F-8289-88CBAD102F7C.jpeg
    428.8 KB · Views: 11
  • F58B0332-6D3F-4A4C-A54C-724125422E8C.jpeg
    F58B0332-6D3F-4A4C-A54C-724125422E8C.jpeg
    409.4 KB · Views: 12
  • C4CCA899-0154-44C1-A49C-E98635BF3037.jpeg
    C4CCA899-0154-44C1-A49C-E98635BF3037.jpeg
    371.3 KB · Views: 9
Can you post any pictures? How long has the swelling been there? Here is a very graphic video of someone squeezing pus out of a chicken's eye:

Hopefully it won’t come to that.
Oh boy! So do I! That may be a job for the vet or one of the many health care workers I have in my family

Since there are only bubbles in the eye, there may not be a need for removing pus since you are treating with an antibiotic. I would also treat the eye with Terramycin eye ointment or use plain Neosporing in the eye.

Back
Top Bottom