Mycoplasma

Just went to check on him and noticed there is some decrease in the swelling.

Respiratory diseases, such as MG and coryza, can be complicated by secondary infections. E.coli is one that cause some. The infections of MG and others can spread throughout the body via the air sacs. Unfortunately the longer the pus is there, it can become harder to remove.

I then was told I could give him the Tylan orally 3 times a day to the rate of .1 ml.His main drinking water has the Tylosin in it but I am no longer giving him the separate amount by syringe.
I am not seeing any puss today in the eye and when I press on the area around the eye I see none. The one area is hard though and he isn’t happy when I try to press on it
Am I over medicating him? How safe is it to give him the Tylan orally? Do I also keep the powder Tylosin in the water ?Shouldnt the Tylan bring the swelling down if there is infection ?
Right - Tylan (injectable 200) can be given orally 3 times a day. Tylosin Powder he would need to be drinking that as the only source of drinking water. While both are the "same product" the delivery is different.
I don't think you are over-medicating if you are providing him with Tylosin (powder) solution to drink, then that should be the only thing in his drinking water.

Pus has to be physically removed, antibiotics will not "dry up" the pus.

Right - Tylan (injectable 200) can be given orally 3 times a day. Tylosin Powder he would need to be drinking that as the only source of drinking water. While both are the "same product" the delivery is different.
I don't think you are over-medicating if you are providing him with Tylosin (powder) solution to drink, then that should be the only thing in his drinking water.

Eggsessive posted a video of puss removal in a chickens eye.When I press in that area there is no puss. The swollen area I am assuming must contain some . That area is very hard and pressing there gets no pus that I would wipe from his eye as I am assuming this is where it would go?Should I just daily work on that area to draw pus out?I am afraid that I am going to do damage if I press to hard. I have cleaned puss from his eye that had worked out on its own this week. I am going to also call the vet and see if he has any experience with pus removal . I don’t hold out too much hope as vets in this area know little about birds.

There are some gruesome videos online of removing pus from the sinus cavity by making a incision, on peafowl. I personally would not go that far dealing with a chicken though, but it is a way to get the pus out.

When I was asked to take Buddy he had been nursed back to health after suffering from Wry neck. He had a case of scaly leg that I had to deal with and treat . He is the sweetest rooster and never makes a sound. I had a rooster that lived for 9 years and he too had MG. I got him through his bouts with it and watched him pass from old age. These Silkies are my pets and I will do everything I can to take care of them. I am just afraid I may not get Buddy through this and it’s breaking my heart.

There are some gruesome videos online of removing pus from the sinus cavity by making a incision, on peafowl. I personally would not go that far dealing with a chicken though, but it is a way to get the pus out.
I am with you . That is not something I can bring myself to do.

When I was asked to take Buddy he had been nursed back to health after suffering from Wry neck. He had a case of scaly leg that I had to deal with and treat . He is the sweetest rooster and never makes a sound. I had a rooster that lived for 9 years and he too had MG. I got him through his bouts with it and watched him pass from old age. These Silkies are my pets and I will do everything I can to take care of them. I am just afraid I may not get Buddy through this and it’s breaking my heart.
:hugs You are doing what you can.
Having the pus removed would be a good idea. I know vets can be expensive and some don't deal with poultry. If your vet is not comfortable or experienced in treating him, perhaps he/she can recommend an Avian Vet(?)

I do hope that Buddy gets better. I have special hens too, but roosters seem to be what capture my heart, I think it's because they are a bit more sociable - at least mine are - maybe they have a little more free time since hens are busy working on making eggs :)

Back
Top Bottom