Mypetchicken.com? Is it reliable?

kjpuggles3

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 24, 2011
HI! Im very new at this (BUT SUPER EXCITED
big_smile.png
) and I am ready to order my first batch of baby chickens! I found some great ones at mypetchicken.com and want to know if they are reliable/any good. Also, is getting the chickens sexed worth the $? The vaccination? I want all excellent layers (hens) and one rooster to help replenish the roost if a fox gets in. If i plan on getting 15-20 hens and want one rooster, should I spend the $.50 to make sue they are the right gender? Please advise thanks!

I have never ordered from them, so this a general answer.

$ for sexing- how important is it for you to not have roos? If it is very, then, yes, worth the extra $
vaccinations- you will get many answers and opinions ont his one. I do not vaccinate, but I know some who absolutely do. Do yoru research on it. If you can't afford to replace the entire flock, do not plan on eating the roos, and organic is not an issue for you, then go for it.

I have bought from them twice and Meyer once - very pleased with both hatcheries. I did get one Roo that was supposed to be a hen, but other than that no problems at all. Chicks were healthy and active. I paid the extra for the sexing because I wanted all hens and didn't want to deal with getting rid of extra Roos so it was definitely worth it to me. If you figure that 1/2 of the chicks you buy could be males, then you would have to buy twice as many chicks to get the number of females you want. The cost of their vaccination has gone up quite a bit and I don't know if it's worth it or not. I've always done it, but that's just me. I think Meyer is a bit cheaper on the vaccination and I have read on some posts that My Pet chicken actually gets their chicks from Meyer.

If I'd was be I'd get sexed. I never ordered from their but I recently bought fertile eggs waiting for them to arrive from there.

Ok so im super new at this but i think i only want a roo to help replenish floock for free if a few die or something so if i get more than one rooster i will just wait till it is old and eat it (sad
sad.png
) or sell it and use the other rooster to ffertilize a hen egg and replace the other rooster with a hen. Also, i dont know whether to vaccinate just because i am clueless and A. i don't want them to die on account of preventable illness but B. they will be free range so I'm sure a hen will innevitably go missing anyway so it may be a waste. Let me know.
big_smile.png

We received our chicks a week ago tomorrow. They were right on time. We had them sexed, because we only wanted females. Can't tell if they are all females at this age. MPC was great to work with, and answered all my questions. We paid for the Merek's vacc. We decided that better safe than sorry. Might not of needed it, but.... We only ordered 6 chicks, and all arrived alive and are doing very well. Good luck with your new flock...

frow.gif
Hi and
welcome-byc.gif

I have ordered from My Pet Chicken four times and am very happy with my chickens from them. I did vaccinate and definitely paid to have them sexed. It's worth it if you don't want roosters. Do a search here on BYC and see what others have said, but everything I have read about this company has been very positive. Good luck with your new chicks and be sure to post pictures when they arrive!
wee.gif

I have ordered chicks from mypetchicken two times now, the first batch, I had one die the night we got them, but hey, that happens sometimes, and we live in the middle of nowhere
smile.png
. no problems with order #2 All in all, I am very pleased with them, and would reccomend them to anyone who is looking for a smaller number of chicks.

welcome to BYC, and the wonderful world of chickens
smile.png

Edit:
Yes, definitely get them vaccinated and sexed. it's worth the extra $1.50. You will be happy you did.

Last edited:
Howdy and welcome!

We have ordered twice from My Pet Chicken, and both orders were 100% -- both in arriving alive and in sexing.

I agree with the sentiments above -- spend the extra dollar for sexing and vaccinating.

Have lots of fun with your peeps!

I have ordered birds from MPC multiple times. Every time, I have had them sexed (I want females), and almost every time I have gotten at least one rooster. The first order, I got four roosters out of ten birds. I lost two chicks, both appeared to be possible failure to thrive cases. Both died after their 48 hour arrive alive guarantee, and MPC was NO help when I was trying to save them, and didn't even bother responding to my emails about the birds for several days.

The second order, I got four birds, all four happy, healthy, and FEMALE. The third, four birds, lost two chicks, but MPC was wonderful and refunded my losses. In my current batch, I have a total of 14 birds, 5 of which I currently suspect could be roosters at 4-5 weeks of age, but every one of them arrived healthy and happy.

Over all, I am pretty happy with MPC. The birds are prettier than I expected, and their customer service is pretty good. It seems like the bigger your order, the greater chances of a small number of your sexed pullets turning out to be roosters. I spend the extra $ on sexing and vaccinating. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom