1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mysterious chicken death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bannieallen, Sep 15, 2009.

1. bannieallen

bannieallen New Egg

Sep 15, 2009
    Hello,
    I'm new to chickens. I've had 4 hens for about 4 months and we love them. They are about 6 months old. All have been laying daily for about a month now. All seem healthy and happy. Last night when I was locking their house up, I noticed one hen in the nesting box instead of up on the roosting pole where she normally is with the rest of the crew. This morning she was still there. I thought maybe she was chilled or laying an egg. We live in California and even the cold weather is mild, esp. this time of year! At 4:00 we found her dead in the nesting box. No sign of trauma or injury. I'm worried about the rest of the flock - what should I do? Any ideas what caused this sudden death? Any diseases I should look for?

Thanks for any advice/help!
    Annie

2. littlegip

littlegip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Romulus Michigan
    [​IMG] sorry for loss of ur girl , heres a bump to the top so someone can help...good luck

3. obe10

obe10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Irmo, South Carolina
    she could have been eggbound

4. Sorry for your loss.
    Unfortunately, these things SIMPLY happen.
    heart, lungs, egbound, crop, any number of things.

Sudden Chicken Death SCD, is a fact of life. Without any signs
    of disease, they just expire.

5. bannieallen

bannieallen New Egg

Sep 15, 2009
    Thanks everyone. What's "eggbound" mean? Can't lay an egg? If it's SCD I can live with that; I just want to be sure it's not something I'm doing wrong so the other three stay alive! thanks a bunch!

6. boaz

boaz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Woodville, MS

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by