MYSTERIOUS DEATH.....HELP!!!!!

kpickett73

Hatching
Mar 15, 2015
I have a mixed flock of 27 female and six males that got "accidentally" placed in my order at the hatchery. In the process now of re-homing the roosters but they have not appeared to be aggressive yet.
Two of my hens are one year old, the rest of the flock is three months old. One of my one year old's died two weeks ago and the other was dead this morning. Both had shown no signs or symptoms, neither had been attacked. They were fine one day and dead the next morning.
Any educated guesses, information, or help in this matter would be greatly appreciated....want to make sure there is nothing I need to be concerned about concerning the rest of the flock!!!

I would probably send a body refrigerated, into your state vet for a necropsy. Maybe they were being kept from their feed and water by the cockerels, exposed to coccidia, had worms or mites, or became egg bound. There are just so many ways chickens can die. Examine the bodies, feel their keel for any weight loss, look for parasites, and you can also open them up yourself to look at the insides for evidence of worms inside the gut, egg binding, and egg peritonitis. Taking pictures of what you find can be posted here for any help in trying to identify problems. Sorry for your loss.

Welcome to BYC. I agree with Eggcessive. It could be anything. Contact your local extension office to get information on how to get a necropsy performed on one or both of your birds.

I would probably send a body refrigerated, into your state vet for a necropsy. Maybe they were being kept from their feed and water by the cockerels, exposed to coccidia, had worms or mites, or became egg bound. There are just so many ways chickens can die. Examine the bodies, feel their keel for any weight loss, look for parasites, and you can also open them up yourself to look at the insides for evidence of worms inside the gut, egg binding, and egg peritonitis. Taking pictures of what you find can be posted here for any help in trying to identify problems. Sorry for your loss.

Thank you very much for your reply. Think I will open up the one I found this morn and see if I can tell anything

Back
Top Bottom