mysterious death

karmical

Crowing
16 Years
Aug 3, 2007
Honeoye Falls, NY
Had a sad shock on Saturday...I walked down to the chicken coop to tuck my girls in for the night and there was my sweet Australorp, lying dead on the floor. Rigor mortis had already set in...she was lying on her side with her legs and feet stretched out straight and her wings were back like she would do when "squatting." No sign of a predator or anything like that, and the other girls seem fine.

I have no idea what happened. Thinking back to the morning, I remember thinking she was acting a little "slow", but not so much that I was worrying about her. My girls are all turning five in June.

Wondering if this has happened to anyone else under similar circumstances? I wasn't able to have a necropsy done, so I'm hoping there isn't something going on down there that is going to affect my other girls.

Thanks in advance for any insight....
-Tracy

Had a sad shock on Saturday...I walked down to the chicken coop to tuck my girls in for the night and there was my sweet Australorp, lying dead on the floor. Rigor mortis had already set in...she was lying on her side with her legs and feet stretched out straight and her wings were back like she would do when "squatting." No sign of a predator or anything like that, and the other girls seem fine.

I have no idea what happened. Thinking back to the morning, I remember thinking she was acting a little "slow", but not so much that I was worrying about her. My girls are all turning five in June.

Wondering if this has happened to anyone else under similar circumstances? I wasn't able to have a necropsy done, so I'm hoping there isn't something going on down there that is going to affect my other girls.

Thanks in advance for any insight....
-Tracy

Sometimes they just dont make it I guess. I have a little chic die a week ago and I have no idea what happened. I would continue to watch your girls and to check their feeders and waters to make sure that there isnt anything bad in them. Sorry for your loss. I have lost 2 girls, 1 rooster and a chick this year and it still hurts.

Thanks for your reply, JakRat :) It's been five days now and no one else seems ill, so my fingers are crossed that it was just something specific to Dorothy. I am still keeping an eye out though!

So Many things can really go wrong .. If your saying five years old .. With out further testing after she passed it would be so hard to tell .. AS Much as we would love for them to live for ever and keep producing etc.. It is such a sad Fact occasionally we lose one and for no apparent reason .. Or at least one we are unsure of.. I am very sorry for your Loss !!! I am glad all the others seem o.k. I hope it was an isolated incident like her heart or something ..
hmm.png

I've lost chickens and chicks randomly and for no apparent reason. We also raise rabbits, and every breeding or two it seems like we lose a kit here or here. It's hard every time you lose an animal, even if it's not your fault. :( I think it's just part of animal husbandry.

Thanks, everybody :) Such sweet souls these birds! All that remain are still well, so I guess it must have just been Dorothy's time. Thanks again...Tracy

Back
Top Bottom