Mysterious deaths

Again, I so much appreciate your help. The B 12 definitely perked her up, but I have started the whole flock on Corid and a high protein diet 🙏🙏🙏🙏

All five chickens have been on Corrid for three days. She is still less active than the rest, but yesterday her comb had more color. Hoping for the best.

Latest update is not good. I found her lying on the floor, very weak. I took her to a separate coop and administered Corid and B 12 which she accepted. If she survives it will be by god’s grace. I talked to a local vet and they suggested deworming.
I have two other flocks who are healthy and free ranging. Should they all be dewormed? Your help is greatly appreciated 🙏🙏🙏

Latest update is not good. I found her lying on the floor, very weak. I took her to a separate coop and administered Corid and B 12 which she accepted. If she survives it will be by god’s grace. I talked to a local vet and they suggested deworming.
I have two other flocks who are healthy and free ranging. Should they all be dewormed? Your help is greatly appreciated 🙏🙏🙏
I'm sorry she's started to go downhill.

Did they vet suggest a specific product?
Fenbendazole (Safeguard) would be what I'd use since it's usually readily available at feed stores. Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row. This dose and length of time will take care of most types of worms except for Tapeworms.

It's worth a shot to deworm her and see if it helps.

As for the other 2 flocks, if your vet is willing to perform a fecal float, take in a few samples of fresh poop gathered from the flocks and have they do the test to look for worms. That way you don't have to treat unnecessarily.

My fourth hen died last night. The remaining four are still on Corid treatment. My younger flock is very interested in mingling with the older girls, but at this point I am worried about spreading whatever is going on. I went toTSC today and they had Safeguard pellets that didn’t seem right for my chicks. Any advice on obtaining water soluble alternatives would be greatly appreciated, including where to purchase🐣🐣🐣🐣🐣🐣🐣🐣🐣

I'm sorry to hear about your pullet. That really stinks.
Not sure where you live, but some state labs are very reasonable on testing/necropsy, it's something to consider finding out what may be going on.

You can use Safeguard Liquid Goat dewormer or Equine paste.
You do need to dose each bird individually since dosing is based on weight and neither will mix well with water.
Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.
Depending on how your coops/housing is set up, the easiest way to dose everyone is to get a good idea of the basic weight on most of them. Say 5lb hens. Then preload your syringes if possible. Go out early, grab a hen from the roost, dose her, then set her on the floor. Having syringes preloaded and grabbing from the roost makes quick work of it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Thank you again for all your help. I live in middle Georgia and I can’t even find a veterinarian who works with chickens. I will monitor the remaining four closely and start deworming as soon as I get the medication delivered.

Back
Top Bottom