Mystery Bantam chicks - white with unusual black facial/head markings

agree on the disagree - think maybe you were looking at some of the confirmed silver and gold(en) campine pix others posted for comparison? The three pix I posted you will see, or not see as the case may be, the differences we're spotting... the lack of colours other than black on white, such as the various rich and yummy browns (mahogany for instance) and the distinct pattern on their backs that while variable from chick to chick, is still fairly consistent... with the ones from TSC-via-PH, it's just black one white with mainly black markings on the heads and faces, and some rather random markings on the backs but fairly minimal.
NOW, this is not to say that they won't turn out a "surprise Campine" of previously unknown colour or perhaps a new-to-me/us(?) strain or something...

I'm waiting to take more photos until there are more changes to be seen with growth... not enough yet to warrant additional photos.

I apologize for my typing now and in future posts and possibly even less posting, I'm normally a stickler on caps, lowercase, punctuation, spelling, and so on but I have inexplicably injured one hand/wrist/arm... familiar with a variety of soft tissue injuries and this is nothing like that so DH thinks I might have fractured it nothing major I assume but definitely having an impact on typing, writing, holding stuff, sleeping ;P

TNTruly - I have a pretty good idea where you are! I mean not EXACTLY sure on Church Hill from memory, but been to and through Kingsport plenty. I used to attend an annual fundraising horse show in Johnson City for the Humane Society there.

Chickadeedle - you are "pretty close" to where I'm at... I'm in Giles County (TN), about 20 minutes' drive from the north border of Limestone County (AL) - in the boondocks.
wink.png
In Fayetteville you're a bit further from me (driving anyway, not sure about the way the crow flies) than say Ardmore TN/AL and Athens, AL.... kinda OT but do you know of any poultry shows that actually happen "in our area"?

okay, radius (sp?) has given me a kickin' warning to stop even trying to type now....

Looks IDENTICAL to my Silver Campine Pattern OEGB. Like, spitting image completely identical. Don't have any photos, but that's my guess and I'd wager money on it.

For the record, my bantam chick that looked identical to that grew into this little fella:

DSCF8295.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Is that silver campine pattern?
Silve campine have no gold on them..
Nice looking bird though!!

Yeah, he was definitely silver campine patterned OEGB. Just not the best example of one, had slightly smutty feathers (hence the slight gold) xD. Was hatchery-quality, is all.

Maybe the silver campine chicks look different than the silver campine pattern OEGB's.
I have gotten 3 silver campines and they look completely different.. The chicks in the first picture are completely lacking the cheetah markings and the brown/mahogany.
I will post pics ASAP, as I just got one of them today (so it has minimal feathers.)

Yoshii ... did the leg colouring change then from the one you show/posted the photo of to that colour, from a different colour (like mine shown in the first/original post) with age, or was the leg colouration consistent from chick to the age shown in the photo you posted?

Since I'm behind the times, but am discovering that some hatcheries are working on breeds and selling them even before they are officially recognized, e.g. "Buff Sebright", I haven't ruled out the possibility that the pair of "unknown 'dalmatians' might end up being small-standards-rather-than-bantams, but compared to others I've got, they do appear to be staying consistent with the growth pattern of an actual Bantam. I am still stumped even when referencing right back to the hatchery though since I can't find any of their chicks' photos that indicate anything even remotely like the ones I've got.

It's fun though... watching as they develop, checking out posts and links and other photos and reading (and re-re-reading) up on different breeds again - old enough now that things don't stick in my head like they used to.
smile.png
There's others that I've gotten that have shorter lists of "best guesses" as to breed as well, but with most it's more a matter of time to just discern which of one or two or three types or breeds - like Buff Cochins (banties) vs. Buff Brahmas (banties).

It's funny how a slip of memory resulted in me ending up with what I'm sure are Bantam Silkies vs. Bantam Sultans. I had some pretty-sure-Bantam Sultans and when I hit another source, I didn't think twice when picking out "bantam, white, five toes" and never once thought about the fact that they had blue/slate legs rather than yellow like the first ones - hence Bantam Silkies now in the mix.
smile.png
My "real" thrill though is in a handful of chicks that appeared "blue"... rather than grey... I'm uber-hoping that maybe, just maybe, one or two will be Self Blue d'Uccle.

Okay, DS2 is driving me up a wall with Adult Swim... ta ta for now! Gotta get away from cheese-TV!

I spoke with someone at PH in I think it was the last week of March, at that time there were "some issues" but within a week I couldn't view any of the online catalog at all. They were aware of the problem, heck I offered to fix it! They said that it was being worked on, but either they've got someone incompetent or the issue falls in an area that they don't control (like if they are getting their server space from another party or using a proprietary software or something).

Not enough visual difference in the chicks today, so still no new photos... have some others that are slower than others to begin feathering into their juvenile phase though, so just waiting and watching. Managed to _not_ go into TSC today and look at remains of any new chicks they might have.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom