Mystery Bantam chicks - white with unusual black facial/head markings

nospringchicken39

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
Hello all - hoping to find at least one person here who may be familiar with these markings to help ID these two chicks. A little "background info" on them, that may or may not help to narrow things down as well as clarify on what the photos may infer but not be accurate about.

Source: TSC - their source: Privett Hatchery in New Mexico. Currently (and for a time now) PH's website is "down" and while unlike most other hatcheries, they do provide photos of both mature birds AND chicks, rather than outdated-public-domain illustrations, I haven't been able to pinpoint these chicks from the tiny photos from their brochure OR the larger poster at TSC. TSC received "mixed/assorted" lots. One of the TSC's, notably the one these chicks came from, have had "someone" accidentally mix in standards with bantams, but I'm fairly confident that is not an issue with these chicks. That is to say, I'm pretty sure they are indeed Bantams.

The photos provided were taken when the chicks were 5-7 days old. Inside lighting did create some "yellow cast" that is not true to life/perceived in natural light with the naked eye.

Of note: There were probably two dozen chicks with these pure white bodies and black markings on the heads and faces, with *some* having black markings on the backs. Like any breed of animal, no two had identical markings, but "close enough" for it to be obvious that they are all of the same "type." I only selected two, because they struck my fancy, but dared not select more not knowing what breed (or possible cross) that they are even though the sharp contrast was very eye-catching. The black pigment does actually appear on the skin around their eyes, but their shanks are a light yellow and they are clean-legged. They do not appear to have muffs, beards, or any protrusions on the skull to indicate unusual combs, crests, or longer feathers that might be "swept back." Their primary wing feathers are beginning to come in and are outlined in white - nixing the notion of a "penciled" or "black laced" variety, while the base colour of the primary feathers appears to be a light grey or grey-blue. Their nostrils are "normal sized", not indicating a Polish or other crested variety. The black markings on their backs have developed a bit more since I first got them, but not much. They aren't "muddled" in colouration. They do _not_ fit the colouration and markings of the standard sized "California White", so I have pretty well ruled that out as well. I'm officially at a loss, especially since the group on the whole was very standardized - either a purebreed or a well-defined and established crossbreed. I've searched the net high and low trying to find pictures of chicks and mature birds alike (even going outside the parameters of "bantams") to try and find any that come anywhere close - to no avail. I'm not going to get my knickers in a wad if I can't ID these chicks before they mature, I don't mind waiting "to see", but as they are now, they pose such a challenge for identification that I am utterly compelled to "reach out" to the poultry community to find out DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLUE? :) I'm rather "out of the loop" after many years without fowl so they may be a "new" breed for all I know. Gender isn't really relevant right now, but if anyone has a guess on that as well, fire away.

Thanks in advance for your perusal and attempt to ID.

27980_unkbantamchicks5-7daysblackmarkingsonwhite001.jpg

27980_unkbantamchicks5-7daysblackmarkingsonwhite002.jpg

27980_unkbantamchicks5-7daysblackmarkingsonwhite003.jpg

I think they're fantastic!! Love their colors. I'm going to check my TSC (they recv from the same place) and see what's in this week. I am risking divorce if I bring home any more chicks, but those are beautiful!
p.s. i have no idea what they are.

Last edited:
I had considered the Silver Campine previously, but two things "held me back" - 1) I couldn't tell from the photos I came across if the chicks were of a yellow base hue or if it was the lighting with the camera 2) if Campines came in a Bantam variety.

I don't find any indication of the latter, but if they are Silver Campine, they would not be the first chicks sold as Bantams at TSC from PH that were in fact standards. Thing is, they aren't the size of a standard breed chick at all, even a small-standard. So "I dunno"...

They don't have as much colour/markings on their bodies as Campines or Buttercups either though and SLW seems an even further stretch.

Something that does concern me though is that PH may be providing/putting out there chicks/birds with names that aren't accepted ("officially recognized") purebreds... the first one to catch my attention on that note was the "Buff Sebright" - to my knowledge only Golden and Silver are official with Sebrights, but PH is offering a "Buff Sebright"...

Will update with photos as they grow/show more mature feathering...

Baffled Still,
NSC39

I have Golden Campines -- and I agree they are quite light-weight and small. Actually mine is smaller than my Bantam Cochin!! But the markings didn't look anything like your cuties. Mine are much more camoflauge-y with leopard spots all over. Hope you don't mind --I'll add a picture of her head. Yours almost look like they have dalmatian spots on the back!! Could it be a lighter colored bantam EE? It looks chipmunky?
Ahhh! Let us know when you figure it out -- I may want to track some down --hee hee! Sorry I couldn't help more!
wink.png

23763_dscn3483.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom