Have two remarkable white and greys that need identification!

So it's safe to say, for a more "Zoomed in," idea, these are likely a California Grey with either Silkie or Cemani blood/ancestors?
They probably have White Leghorn, along with Silkie or Cemani, and likely some other things as well.

Because of what color your birds are, I think White Leghorns are much more likely to be involved than California Grays.

I had one that looked like that is was an ayam cemani/california gray mix.
View attachment 3622763
It is genetically impossible to get that color chicken by crossing Ayam Cemani (black) with California Gray (black with white barring). But crossing Ayam Cemani with a White Leghorn or a California White could make a chicken like that picture.

They probably have White Leghorn, along with Silkie or Cemani, and likely some other things as well.

Because of what color your birds are, I think White Leghorns are much more likely to be involved than California Grays.

It is genetically impossible to get that color chicken by crossing Ayam Cemani (black) with California Gray (black with white barring). But crossing Ayam Cemani with a White Leghorn or a California White could make a chicken like that picture.
Sounds a good bet. Someone higher on the thread is who I got the California Grey mix idea. (I think they said a Grey.)

Anything in particular you think would cause the eyes of Daredevil to be like that?

Sounds a good bet. Someone higher on the thread is who I got the California Grey mix idea. (I think they said a Grey.)
They did say a California Grey, but genetically it just does not work.

Anything in particular you think would cause the eyes of Daredevil to be like that?
My best guess is that she has a black spot where one eye is, and not where the other eye is. I know that some mammals can have mis-matched eyes if there is white around one eye and some color around the other eye. I do not know for sure if chickens work the same way (the genetics controlling the spotting might be different in some way that matters).

They did say a California Grey, but genetically it just does not work.

My best guess is that she has a black spot where one eye is, and not where the other eye is. I know that some mammals can have mis-matched eyes if there is white around one eye and some color around the other eye. I do not know for sure if chickens work the same way (the genetics controlling the spotting might be different in some way that matters).
Well, I think I'm satisfied for the most part on these. While you're here since you seem knowledgeable, any opinions on what these might be? From the same batch. Also, is the second one a rooster? (Big comb.)

Attachments

• IMG_20230828_180617034.jpg
    IMG_20230828_180617034.jpg
    616.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230828_175629922.jpg
    IMG_20230828_175629922.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 9
Well, I think I'm satisfied for the most part on these. While you're here since you seem knowledgeable, any opinions on what these might be? From the same batch. Also, is the second one a rooster? (Big comb.)
The first one is probably a Red Sexlink pullet. The hatchery might have called it by some other name (ISA Brown, Golden Comet, Red Star, etc.) They are sex-linked hybrids who are good layers of brown eggs. Sex-linked means a cross of specific parents produces male and female chicks that look different, so they are easy to sort out when they hatch.

Or the first one might be an Easter Egger. Some hatcheries are selling Easter Eggers that look like that, and calling them "Starlight Green Eggers" or "Whiting True Green," or probably several other names as well. If she lays green eggs, you will know she is an Easter Egger.

The second one looks female to me. Some breeds just do have larger combs than others. At 5-6 months, a rooster would have male-specific saddle feathers (long and skinny, growing from the back just in front of the tail, hanging down on each side).

I am not sure what to call the second one. I think she is some kind of a mix, maybe a Calico Princess or something like that. She probably will lay brown eggs. (Red Sexlinks have been around for a long time, so I know more about them. But some hatcheries seem to offer several new mixes every year, and I only care enough to learn some of them rather than all.)

The big red combs show up on females when they are about ready to start laying eggs. So if you are not getting eggs yet, you probably will fairly soon :)

The first one is probably a Red Sexlink pullet. The hatchery might have called it by some other name (ISA Brown, Golden Comet, Red Star, etc.) They are sex-linked hybrids who are good layers of brown eggs. Sex-linked means a cross of specific parents produces male and female chicks that look different, so they are easy to sort out when they hatch.

Or the first one might be an Easter Egger. Some hatcheries are selling Easter Eggers that look like that, and calling them "Starlight Green Eggers" or "Whiting True Green," or probably several other names as well. If she lays green eggs, you will know she is an Easter Egger.

The second one looks female to me. Some breeds just do have larger combs than others. At 5-6 months, a rooster would have male-specific saddle feathers (long and skinny, growing from the back just in front of the tail, hanging down on each side).

I am not sure what to call the second one. I think she is some kind of a mix, maybe a Calico Princess or something like that. She probably will lay brown eggs. (Red Sexlinks have been around for a long time, so I know more about them. But some hatcheries seem to offer several new mixes every year, and I only care enough to learn some of them rather than all.)

The big red combs show up on females when they are about ready to start laying eggs. So if you are not getting eggs yet, you probably will fairly soon :)
We have a recent lay of Green eggs. However we get a frequent one, as in multiple per day. We have learned that these three Rocks or Greys or whatever, could be crossed with Easter Eggers, given the fluffy hat they all have. Is that possible? We also get quite the variety of green, even olive sort. There's large pale ones, medium darker ones.

Attachments

• IMG_20230829_112713390.jpg
    IMG_20230829_112713390.jpg
    849.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230829_112735264.jpg
    IMG_20230829_112735264.jpg
    766.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230829_113403339_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230829_113403339_HDR.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230828_174626948.jpg
    IMG_20230828_174626948.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 7
We have a recent lay of Green eggs. However we get a frequent one, as in multiple per day. We have learned that these three Rocks or Greys or whatever, could be crossed with Easter Eggers, given the fluffy hat they all have. Is that possible? We also get quite the variety of green, even olive sort. There's large pale ones, medium darker ones.
Yes, those birds are probably Olive Eggers. One fairly common way to get olive eggers is a cross of Cream Legbar with some color of Marans. The Cream Legbars give the crest and the blue egg gene, while the Marans give the dark brown egg genes that make the eggs look olive green and often give the genes that cause large amounts of black in the feathers.

If you are getting lots of green eggs, then the two brown birds in the previous post might be laying colored eggs as well. That would make them some version of Easter Egger or Olive Egger.

Back
Top Bottom