Have two remarkable white and greys that need identification!

The Gift of Man

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2023
Hello! These are the duo of birds we call Daredevil and Blizzard! Around 5-6 Months as of now

These were from a Hatchery's Choice selection, aka the breeds they couldn't identify.

Both coats are a white with black flecks, sometimes whole feathers, like snowy peaks! Their feet are grey, and their combs as well, although there's a bit of purple in the comb!

Daredevil has one void black eye, and one normal orange one, and has extra toes on each foot.

Whereas Blizzard has both void black eyes and the normal number of toes.

It seems while they are similar, Daredevil may have even MORE mix then Blizzard does?

Let me know your thoughts!

First three images are of Daredevil. Last two of Blizzard.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230829-152240.png
    Screenshot_20230829-152240.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot_20230829-152317.png
    Screenshot_20230829-152317.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20230829-152254.png
    Screenshot_20230829-152254.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20230829-152327.png
    Screenshot_20230829-152327.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20230829-152346.png
    Screenshot_20230829-152346.png
    971.3 KB · Views: 20
Silkie mixes? Which hatchery?
I cannot quite figure out. We got them as a Hatchery's Choice from the local Bomgaars in Buffalo Wyoming. If that helps more knowledgeable people research, and all. My father is quite against silkie genes since they're considered more valuable, and "Most breeders wouldn't just let silkies mate with random other breeds," but we ARE new, (Within reason, few years,) to chickens.

Just wow. They are both totally stunning. Whatever mix this is would be amazing as a breed; someone standardize this ❤️

My father is quite against silkie genes since they're considered more valuable, and "Most breeders wouldn't just let silkies mate with random other breeds,"
The hatchery is not going to let any of their chickens breed at random.

While I understand your father's logic, I do not think it would apply to breeding chickens.

No matter how valuable a given breed may be, the hatchery breeding flock needs about 10 times as many hens as roosters. Since the chicks hatch with roughly equal numbers of males and females, the hatchery will always have plenty of spare roosters of every breed. Those spare roosters could be used in crossbreeding projects without having any effect on how many purebred Silkies (or other rare breed) the hatchery is able to produce.

There are some hatcheries that are offering Silkie-mix chickens for various purposes. Some are meant for meat (some folks want the dark skin & dark meat, but in a bigger bird) and some are meant for egg layers and/or pets (Easter Eggers with silkie feathers, or with normal feathers but some other Silkie traits like crests or extra toes.)

The dark skin and eyes could easily come from Silkies, or Ayam Cemani, or Svarthöna, but the extra toes do suggest Silkies somewhere in the ancestry of your birds.

The hatchery is not going to let any of their chickens breed at random.

While I understand your father's logic, I do not think it would apply to breeding chickens.

No matter how valuable a given breed may be, the hatchery breeding flock needs about 10 times as many hens as roosters. Since the chicks hatch with roughly equal numbers of males and females, the hatchery will always have plenty of spare roosters of every breed. Those spare roosters could be used in crossbreeding projects without having any effect on how many purebred Silkies (or other rare breed) the hatchery is able to produce.

There are some hatcheries that are offering Silkie-mix chickens for various purposes. Some are meant for meat (some folks want the dark skin & dark meat, but in a bigger bird) and some are meant for egg layers and/or pets (Easter Eggers with silkie feathers, or with normal feathers but some other Silkie traits like crests or extra toes.)

The dark skin and eyes could easily come from Silkies, or Ayam Cemani, or Svarthöna, but the extra toes do suggest Silkies somewhere in the ancestry of your birds.
So it's safe to say, for a more "Zoomed in," idea, these are likely a California Grey with either Silkie or Cemani blood/ancestors?

Back
Top Bottom