Mystery Black Wound

metzbower

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 19, 2010
I noticed a black spot under one of my hen's wings today as she was running around the yard. This evening, after she had went to roost for the night, I inspected further.

As far as I can tell, she is eating, laying, and behaving perfectly normal. None of the other chickens seem to be ill. Honestly, I'm not even sure how long she's had this since it was hiding under her wing. Anybody ever had this kind of illness or injury?

What could have caused this? How do I heal this? Is it possible to heal this?

Do you have a large rooster with your hens? That looks like 'rooster damage' caused by a roosters toenails or spurs while breeding. It is already well on the way towards healing.

You might want to apply some antibacterial ointment (without the pain relief ingredient) and keep an eye on the wound to make sure that it does not become 'fly blown'.

Last edited:
We have 4 roos and 9 hens. 2 of the roos are slated to be culled this weekend. (The hubby gave in to the pleading eyes of my children, and of course those two cute chicks ended up being mean roosters. :-/)

I will look around for something to put on this wound. And keep an extra close eye on it. Thank you so much for your expertise!!!

This type of injury is frequently caused by one or more roosters trying to force another rooster off of a hen while he is attempting to breed her. Is it possible to separate 3 of the roosters away from the hens? You have far too many roosters for the number of hens that you have.

Well done! Your hens will appreciate the break from molestation.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom