Mystery Breed/Hybrid

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by amartinlb, Mar 18, 2009.

1. amartinlb

amartinlb Songster

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    I just noticed that unlike my other Ameraucanas his legs are a definite yellow color, and he's developed a brown and white pattern on the wings that are just starting to come in, as well as a rose comb unlike the single combs on the other ameraucanas.

I'll have my son take new photos today...

-Anna

2. amartinlb

amartinlb Songster

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    Here's the new pics. The pattern developing on the feathers is very strange and does not appear to be anything like normal Ameraucanas...

Any ideas on that variety or mixes this chick is? It was sold as an Ameraucana pullet chick. It's 5 weeks old now.

Here's the rose comb...or at least I think that's a rose comb...:
    [​IMG]

Head:
    [​IMG]

Feathers:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Feet:
    [​IMG]

Sides:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any ideas on that variety or mixes this chick is? It was sold as an Ameraucana pullet chick. It's 5 weeks old now.

-Anna

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  3. DTchickens

DTchickens Crowing

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    EE.. and looks like a cockerel

4. countrybum

countrybum Songster

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Hawk mix - going by the feather color. [​IMG] Looks like a hen to me, comb looks small, do not see puffy cheeks so I do not think it is an Ameraucana. Not sure, but I am going to look at chick pics and try to find out.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  5. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I think it is an EE as well AND a cockerel (possibly). It looks like it has the start of spurs in one of recent pics (though hens can have little starters like those as well, so that isn't a sure indicator...unless it gets long! [​IMG] ). Maybe it'll turn out to look like Cetawin's EE roo on the previous page. That roo is gorgeous!

I just noticed that unlike my other Ameraucanas his legs are a definite yellow color, and he's developed a brown and white pattern on the wings that are just starting to come in, as well as a rose comb unlike the single combs on the other ameraucanas.

I'll have my son take new photos today...

-Anna

Just an FYI tidbit... Ameraucana/Araucana's sold in feed stores and hatcheries are Easter Eggers. The only way to really get a purebred Ameraucana or Araucana (two different breeds) is to go through a breeder. EEs usually have pea combs, but not always and usually have greenish legs, but not always. As you are seeing in your other pullet, they can have singlke combs and yellow legs. EEs are not truly purebred...they are bred for egg color, not blood line. Also, TRUE Ameraucanas will have slate legs and a pea comb. EEs are wonderful birds and excellent egg layers. I have 3 EEs (sold as Ameraucanas) and they have great personalities, lay large blue/green eggs regularly.​

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I stand corrected.

EE ROO!

7. countrybum

countrybum Songster

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Amar, what ever it is he/she it is one pretty chicken. If you do not want it, ship it to me.

8. jossanne

jossanne Songster

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    That is a pea comb, not a rose comb. EE's have pea combs, and come in every color of the chicken rainbow. Looks like it's going to be a neat-looking bird!

9. amartinlb

amartinlb Songster

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    [​IMG] Thanks everyone for your replies!!!

Cetawin - I looked at your Eggtopia- it's really great. [​IMG]

After looking at your picture I think our chick may turn out like it! It's really different looking. I like that so you can tell them apart easier. You have a beautiful mix of birds! [​IMG]

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    definitely an EE cockeral [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: