Mystery chickens! (UPDATED PICS)

Can I ask what makes the SLW look roo-ish to you?

Is it the way it carries itself or what?

This was our 8 week old SLW

69782_20100512_jesusita__mg_1046email.jpg

She is the boss hen, well for now-the older flock ladies are done molting and over her being bossy.

Quote:
I agree.

What makes the SLW rooish is the comb/wattles are a bit bigger than they should be for its age (see the last pic) and the feathering. The lack of bow feathers (on its wings) and the way it's feathering out so slowly is sometimes a sign of a cockerel. I'm not 100% on this one, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's a cockerel.

My two bits on the Speckled Sussex: a) she's older than six weeks, and (b) she appears to be a mixed breed pullet including a good measure of Speckled Sussex!

slw and speckled sussex I love my ss she is the sweetest bird I have and her feathers are so soft.my slw looks like a roo I'm waiting for the caca-doodle doo!but so far he is very shy.mine is 12 weeks old

Quote:

As for the speckled sussex being mixed, I raised my first pullets this year, and that is how mine looked until their adult feathers came in. I was pretty sure they were some kinda partridge mixed with speckled something, and now they are beautiful picture perfect girls. Not sure why they started out looking like that. Since it was my first time I figured they all look like that at the young age. Maybe mine are mixed, but they sure look correct now. Very nice birds by the way.

It is entirely possible that I have got their ages a little off... my friend got them as day-old chicks, and has raised them until yesterday. She literally gave me "the catch of the day"!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom