Mystery chickens! (UPDATED PICS)

I will be curious to see if your "Roo-ish" slw turns out to be a roo or not.

These are our first two slw, mom was convinced they were both roos. They matured faster than our EE's and surprised her how quick they started laying. Both are still dependable for almost daily eggs. The EE's all 5 of them (same age) are good for 1 or 2 a day-max

I'll keep you posted, and take new photos in a week or two. We've decided that "Feathers" can stay here for the time being; we'll just reassess things a little further down the line.

Your pullets look exactly like mine did at that age, even the slow maturing wyandotte: Have faith, she'll catch up

Here is my hatchery columbian wyandotte that looked exactly like that at 6 weeks (pretty slow to mature....). Almost everyone thought she was a he but thank goodness they were wrong! You can see my 6 week old speckled sussex standing right behind her and she is fully speckled now at 7 months.
47961_img_1463.jpg

47961_img_1461.jpg

It took almost 5 months before she fully feathered out . I don't have a recent pic but this was at just about 20 weeks (she's not one of the prettiest chickens....)
47961_img_1494.jpg

here is the SS now, fully feathered,
47961_img_2288.jpg

Last edited:
That's awesome, Cabot! That second (running) picture could be my chicken... I will have faith that maybe mine is indeed a pullet!

big_smile.png

Those look EXACTLY like the "assorted layers" my neighbor and I got from MPC! The one missing feathers we figure is a Columbian Wyandotte- had the Columbian coloring as a chick, not SLW. And exactly the same lack of feathers!!!!

Also the others are identical to our Speckled Sussex and Barred Rock pullets.

Back
Top Bottom