Mystery chicks

That’s so interesting!! But that chick looks so similar. I didn’t even think that it could be some sort of colored layer though. Maybe one mystic onyx parent and something else to make a colored egg? Is this what your chick still looks like?
Yes, for the most part she still looks like this. She will be two weeks old on Wednesday so she is a little larger and she has gotten a few black wing feathers in but overall looks the same. She seems to be slower to feather out than everyone else.

It’s interesting because if you read about the crosses Hoovers hatchery uses to make some of their colored eggers (olive egger, starlight green egger, prairie bluebell etc) they don’t use any breeds in those crosses that have five toes!

Yes, for the most part she still looks like this. She will be two weeks old on Wednesday so she is a little larger and she has gotten a few black wing feathers in but overall looks the same. She seems to be slower to feather out than everyone else.

It’s interesting because if you read about the crosses Hoovers hatchery uses to make some of their colored eggers (olive egger, starlight green egger, prairie bluebell etc) they don’t use any breeds in those crosses that have five toes!
I was literally just researching I’m sooo interested. But I guess we will know more once they start feathering out and laying (hopefully) haha! Out of the 12 chicks in the brooder currently, this one is the most sweet, calm little thing. Once yours feathers out more, update me if you can remember. I’m curious about yours too.

I was literally just researching I’m sooo interested. But I guess we will know more once they start feathering out and laying (hopefully) haha! Out of the 12 chicks in the brooder currently, this one is the most sweet, calm little thing. Once yours feathers out more, update me if you can remember. I’m curious about yours too.
I sure will!

A week later.. I’m really just hoping the little yellow/white one is not a broiler, can anyone confirm or deny? The 5 toe colorful “mystic onyx” mystery has a completely different head shape, so maybe an EE with some silkie down the line? Also thinking the all black one with 4 toes, is just a Mystic onyx with 4 toes.. but idk if that’s possible.

Attachments

• 25C8E019-5DEF-497B-A22B-ABBBD9022C91.jpeg
    25C8E019-5DEF-497B-A22B-ABBBD9022C91.jpeg
    535 KB · Views: 8
  • 9AF22127-A072-4A72-9711-9F74D7A54479.jpeg
    9AF22127-A072-4A72-9711-9F74D7A54479.jpeg
    367.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 6BBA5369-19F1-4C33-9879-C6EDB2A66179.jpeg
    6BBA5369-19F1-4C33-9879-C6EDB2A66179.jpeg
    460.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 03D24E80-2D90-44F2-965F-F6C1AF012678.jpeg
    03D24E80-2D90-44F2-965F-F6C1AF012678.jpeg
    381.1 KB · Views: 9
Here’s my mystery black and white one with 5 toes at 3 weeks old! I still have no idea what she is but looking at your updated pic I can tell we both have the same breed!!

Attachments

• AF888718-A00E-4B22-B2DA-EF7556510DE3.jpeg
    AF888718-A00E-4B22-B2DA-EF7556510DE3.jpeg
    385.6 KB · Views: 8
Here’s my mystery black and white one with 5 toes at 3 weeks old! I still have no idea what she is but looking at your updated pic I can tell we both have the same breed!!
They look sooo similar! Mine is combing up faster and looks bigger compared to the other ones I have in the brooder too. Does yours have feathered legs? Mine does not, but I also have a Midnight Majesty Maran that this one looks similar to. The Maran has pink & not yellow skin though. Definitely has to be mixed with silkie somewhere down the line with the 5 toes, just based off of what Hoover has? I reached out to Hoover and they wouldn’t give me any answers 🤣 but I’m glad we have the same kind of chick and can update each other! So excited to see once they fully feather.

They look sooo similar! Mine is combing up faster and looks bigger compared to the other ones I have in the brooder too. Does yours have feathered legs? Mine does not, but I also have a Midnight Majesty Maran that this one looks similar to. The Maran has pink & not yellow skin though. Definitely has to be mixed with silkie somewhere down the line with the 5 toes, just based off of what Hoover has? I reached out to Hoover and they wouldn’t give me any answers 🤣 but I’m glad we have the same kind of chick and can update each other! So excited to see once they fully feather.
She had the slightest feathing down both of her legs when she was a few days old. I *think* that is gone now, but I will have to double check when I get home from work. She is decent sized but I wouldn't consider her one of the larger ones in my brooder. I got some hefty girls in there with her LOL

These are my 2 “midnight majesty Marans,” and I think they look very different from each other. The more white one is bigger than most of the chicks we have, and the other is the smallest.
B309B8E6-2BB2-4289-AB34-74B8581A4018.jpeg
3EFA699B-985F-40AD-9B5A-E057B6D1B712.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom