Mystery cockerel, brown layer assortment

HomesteadNowhere

Songster
Dec 2, 2020
Ohio USA
I'm wondering what breed this may be. He is of the best looking cockerels. From the "all heavies" assortment from mcmurray.
I also have freedom rangers but I'm as sure as I can be that those had leg bands put on before the chicks intermixed.
It doesn't look like any breed pics I've seen for the breeds. If nothing else I'm curious what the color/pattern is.
Thanks!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CP_HHJup6oi/?utm_medium=copy_link

I think he’s a Bielefelder! Check out my Bielefelder thread! Search my user name in the member area then search Bielefelder. They are an AMAZING breed! Good luck! :)
Bielefelders are barred gold duckwing, this cockerel looks more like he’s barred buff columbian. My bielefelder rooster never looked anything like the OP’s bird.

Ok, it was just a guess, I’m new to the breed and he looked similar. :)
I was thinking the same thing, maybe a Bielefelder.
But I sometimes have trouble telling when a chicken is a poor quality of one breed rather than being a different breed entirely.

I had a Bielefelder cockerel once (McMurray mystery chick), and he had green legs (wrong color for the breed), but it was pretty obvious he couldn't be any other breed they had available at the time.

Bielefelders are barred gold duckwing, this cockerel looks more like he’s barred buff columbian. My bielefelder rooster never looked anything like the OP’s bird.
My bielefelder as a cockerel-
A5C684EF-ABAF-4167-B8F7-D571E48B5BBF.jpeg

The OP’s cockerel looks much more like some sort of ranger, such as a freedom or rainbow ranger.

Back
Top Bottom