Mystery Death

RedHeadWelder

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2021
My alpha hen (Mama) just died yesterday night and I have no clue as to why. I am going to explain my set up before explaining the mystery death.
First off, I have a small flock only 4 now reduced to 3. One barred rock hen (Name:O.G.), one mix hen (Name:Miss Grey), and one Maran hen(Name:Sister). My alpha that passed was also a Maran(Name:Mama) hen.
Now for the food, water, and shelter. Until about a 8 days ago they had a scratch(40%) to a crumble (60%) mix. Grit and oyster shell was mixed in by the handful. They have vinegar in their water. They have a 10 gallon waterer with about 1 cup of vinegar. They have a 10 × 5 foot coop, with a roost/ egg box attached. They always have a tray of diatomaceous earth.
We have rats around the neighborhood but we have been working on eliminating them. We also reinforced their coop. So the pest can't get in to the hens without going through the area that my dogs and cat guard.
About a week ago we had the heat wave here in Washington. Temperatures reached above 100°. So my husband and I put a large tall tray of water out for them. A 24 inch wide and a 3 inch tall pan always full of water. I also went out every other hour and checked on them. My husband also put out a box fan in the coup and a small fan in the roost box. Three out of the four hens did just fine.
One of my Maran hens (Sister) took the heat really badly. She was the only hen that the heat really effected that we saw.She started laying down and stretching out her wings while panting. She couldn't stand up without wobbling and falling back down. I read around and figure out that she was showing signs of bad vitamins deficiency. The deficiency showed up because of the extreme heat dehydrating them. So we took all the scratch out of their diet. Hoping that they would eat the crumble only, that has the right vitamin blend. Sister hen is alert and semi active but doesn't move around well. But she is still laying eggs!
Now I'm getting to the mystery death. The other Maran hen Mama. She had no signs of anything wrong before hand. She hadn't laid any eggs since the heatwave. Which we both thought it was because of the heat. She was doing fine in the morning. Then by afternoon (12ish) was laying down and overall looked in poor condition, such as head drooping, wing down but still being held to her body, and not much attention for anything other than food and water. I felt her crop and she had food in there just not much. She was still drinking water so I left her thinking that she would be okay for the afternoon. She was still eating too so another sign not to worry too much at that time. We checked on them about 7pm and she was dead. She looked like she just fell on her side. She was beside the food. I checked her body over and there was no external problems. No bites or bruising or anything. Just couldn't find anything. Her crop had food and water in it. It was not buldging full but not empty at all. She had no egg or eggs in her when I felt her. Don't know what happened to her or why she died. Would appreciate any help on this. I will give any more info needed about my hens just ask.

How old was she?
You could have had a necropsy done but thinking it's too late as the body needs to be refrigerated ASAP. Being that she hadn't laid "since the heat wave" I'm thinking it's possible stress due to the heat wave and/or egg bound.
There are times we do all we can yet the outcome isn't what we want. :hugs
The grit and oyster shell is recommended to be set in separate dishes, free feed, eaten as they need and not mixed in their feed. I stopped feeding layer years ago, feeding Flock Raiser (20%) which I now ferment, stopped doing the vinegar in water. Was finding it grew mold with the heat here (HI) ... Is your waterer plastic?

How old was she?
You could have had a necropsy done but thinking it's too late as the body needs to be refrigerated ASAP. Being that she hadn't laid "since the heat wave" I'm thinking it's possible stress due to the heat wave and/or egg bound.
There are times we do all we can yet the outcome isn't what we want. :hugs
The grit and oyster shell is recommended to be set in separate dishes, free feed, eaten as they need and not mixed in their feed. I stopped feeding layer years ago, feeding Flock Raiser (20%) which I now ferment, stopped doing the vinegar in water. Was finding it grew mold with the heat here (HI) ... Is your waterer plastic?
She was not even a year old, about 10 months. My waterer is plastic, but I haven't seen any mold. I have checked for that though. My husband also just recommended to separate their grit and oyster shell. So this next feeding I will do. I will be looking into flock raiser feed, I just thought because of how young my hen are that layer feed would be okay. I'm not confident enough to ferment my feed though. Thank you for the advice I will do my best with it!

I'm sorry about your hen.
Unfortunately it would be hard to know why she died unless a necropsy is performed. If you still have the body, refrigerate it and send it to your state lab.
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Heat can kill chickens fairly quickly. I do agree with @ChickNanny13 to check and make sure nothing has molded since you added the extra tray of water. Chickens need good shade during hot weather as well. A shade cloth to block sun during the hottest part of the day works pretty good.

I would check all the remaining hens for lice/mites just to be sure they are not an issue.

The Vinegar in the water can have negative effects like making them drink less than needed as well.

Scratch is a treat and should be used sparingly at about a Tablespoon per bird per day. As mentioned oyster shell and grit should be served (offered) separately from the primary feed as well.

That said, I will add that on occasion young birds just up and die for no apparent reason. Necropsy really is the best way to know if there was something going on that could affect the whole flock.

I am sorry for your loss. :hugs

What is your location, and what have the temps been? Larger breeds and overweight chickens can have a hard time with extreme hot weather. Shaded water in multiple locations changed a couple of times a day is what I do. Flat pans of shaded water are also good for them to cool their legs. As said before a necropsy is the best way to get an answer, and most state vets will do one for a backyard chicken. Sorry for your loss.

A sudden death is always upsetting, especially in such a tiny flock. We can't tell you what caused this hen's death by just hearing about her on this thread, but since she seemed to be fine prior to her death, I would suspect the heat killed her.

The other hen you described as being "wobbly" and prostrate with wings out most likely had heat stroke but luckily recovered. If you ever see those symptoms again, give electrolytes in cool water immediately. Also bring the chicken inside and administer cool compresses under the wing pits. Maximum blood flow is in those spots and will carry the cool of the compresses to the rest of the circulatory system.

The vinegar to water ratio seems excessive. Most people who use ACV have a tablespoon to one gallon of water ratio. Too much acid over time can cause problems. Fermenting feed is very easy. You actually use a little ACV to start the ferment and after that, a spoonful of the previous batch will start the next one. I have never had any go moldy and I've been fermenting feed for over ten years.

She was not even a year old, about 10 months. My waterer is plastic, but I haven't seen any mold. I have checked for that though. My husband also just recommended to separate their grit and oyster shell. So this next feeding I will do. I will be looking into flock raiser feed, I just thought because of how young my hen are that layer feed would be okay. I'm not confident enough to ferment my feed though. Thank you for the advice I will do my best with it!Fe
Fermenting is very easy .... First read about it on BYC years ago, know there's an article/thread about it but can't find what I want.

https://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/how-to-ferment-chicken-feed-bigger-eggs-healthier-chickens/

Back
Top Bottom