Mystery ducks?

Holy smokes! That's awesome! But now what do you mate her with to keep the pattern?

Oddly enough, I have a drake that's similar to her we hadn't figured out what he is either... but, he has a blue gene as well... his duckling down was slightly different, but similar to ThreeWillows duckling, lol... I will have to see if I can dig it up, but here he is now... please forgive him and the Snowy drakes next to him, they're eclipsing right now, lol...

20170630_013836.jpg

He's the middle one of the three side by side...

Pretty! That's pretty much what I thought I was getting! :D There are people working with the Appleyard calls (Oak Grove Poultry in Wis. had one of the nicest pics--the website isn't working but here's one of her birds on google images):

:love

Yep, I am familiar with Oak Grove, and ran into the same issue of links leading to a no longer existing website... :(
I just hadn't looked up about Appleyard since I didn't have the need before... my young girls' duckling down pattern almost matches the other 2 you hatched out even...

20170604_180717.jpg

She is the middle top one, note the finer eye stripe and the brighter/more yellow than a standard grey duckling... this was something new to me, so I have been tracking her development... I believe now this is light phase grey (or wildtype)...

Now, the down color you were expecting for a mini SA is one I am quite familiar with too... the harlequin dusky duckling down pattern is what my Snowy Call line hatches out with... yellow down and smoked head and tail...

piZap_1498725909502_wm.jpg

The smoked can extend across the entire body and can vary in amount (lightly or heavily smoked) but always the head and tail at minimum...

So now I need to do more research, lol... and very much would love to keep in touch and see how yours grows out... :D

Also, if you don't mind, I am curious as to where you sourced the original eggs from? Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not post it openly, I am just curious... :)

SO PRETTY

Thank you... :)

Very interesting! Yes, your female duckling does resemble the ones I hatched out. I am almost sorry I rehomed the others now. It would have been interesting to see how they feathered out.

Sending you a PM with the breeder info.

Hmmm I am unsure on what they are they sure are cute what I would do is Google the breed you think it is look at pictures and if they look a like then you can assume that is the breed or go to the vet they should be able to tell good luck raising them!

Well, I would love input from someone with genetics know-how on the down color patterns. That would be a clue. They came from small eggs, so they are bantams or calls of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom