Mystery egg? Who dunnit?

CityGirlintheCountry

Green Eggs and Hamlet
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
Middle TN
I think I have a second hen laying eggs. Hen #1 (the SLW, I think) has been laying for about a week now. She consistantly laid in the afternoons until I maliciously cut the grass at her and she waited until the next morning to lay that one. This morning I found an egg that looks nothing like the others she has laid. Well, other than it looks like an egg and all.
What do you think?
2983_img_1788.jpg

The one on the left is this morning's find. It's paler and skinnier. The egg in the middle is the first egg I found last week. The one on the right is the egg I got yesterday from the original layer.

Here's another shot (and please don't tell my family that I'm taking multiple egg pictures. They already think I've lost it!)
2983_img_1786.jpg

I think that egg layer #1 is a silver laced wyandotte. I think/hope egg layer #2 is a buff orp. Those two seem the most ready. Plus the other possibilites in that coop are a GLW, another buff orp and two EEs.

Any guesses from the egg gurus?

Last edited:
never mind? did you figure it out? ill tell you what- you arent the only one with the mystery egg problem. i only have 3 girls and just when i think i have figured out who is laying what- i find a different egg under a hen! i think sometimes the colors change a little and then other times i wonder if they are sitting on eachother's eggs to confuse the dumb human.
smile.png

Wow! Look at your variety. You'd think they'd all lay the same color.

I figured it out. It has to be two different chickens as I got two eggs again today, a dark one and a light one. The dark one is definitely larger than the light one. I think it's the wyandotte and the buff orp.

Thanks for the help, y'all!

Back
Top Bottom