Mystery egg??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by imogene08, Dec 21, 2013.

1. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Hello BYC, Im having a tough time figuring out who's laying these eggs! I have three culprits. Gussy a BSL, Chirp a GLW, and Bailey a BO.I have seen Gussy and Chirp squat for are rooster and us and practicing egg songs.They turned 6 months this December.
    [​IMG]
    These are the mystery eggs. The top one is a bit darker then the two bottom ones. Bottom left I got today.
    [​IMG]
    Gussy the BSL

[​IMG]
    Chirp GLW

[​IMG]
    Bailey the BO

Advice and answers are very welcome!!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    My guess would be that your Black Sex-Link and Wyandotte are laying the eggs, or all three of them are. Bailey's comb isn't quite as large and red as the other two (a hen's comb gets redder and larger when it is getting ready to begin laying).

3. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    I'm positive both are laying but have never seen them hop into a nest box except chirp hopefully someone who owns a BSL can show a pic of there eggs.Would you by any chance of a pic of your Wyendotte eggs?

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sorry, I don't have any pictures of my bird's eggs right now (and they are all done laying for the winter, so I won't be able to get any). In general, my Wyandottes eggs are a light brown color, with a few very small whitish speckles.

5. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I would say the darker eggs was layed by the BSL as the other two normally lay lighter brown eggs. Is that definitely a black sex link? I have never seen an all black one. Mine always have brown around the neck and chest.

6. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    I'm pretty sure unless she's a Jersery. She was labeled a Australorp but is nothing like mine she's much bigger more shiney and body shape is different. She has some brown on her neck just not much. She has little yellow feet ((bottom side))

7. Marmalada

Marmalada Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

The four eggs on the right are from our recent Wyandotte layer. The left 2 are potentially from our Polish.

8. Marmalada

Marmalada Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    Sorry that's a rubbish photo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by