Mystery Eggs - Broody Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Every hen is different so it's hard to say what she will do. Some hens will leave before all chicks finish hatching, it's always a possibility and why I like to have an incubator on standby just in case but many hens will wait a few days for the chicks to hatch.

It should be ok to put the nail polish egg back under her but even with nail polish the shell may be slightly compromised to have the hen on it may complicate things but that depends on how severe the crack was.
I guess I’ll just have to watch what she does. It’s her first time hatching, so I have no idea what she’ll do. Though, I have an incubator running and another hen that’s broody, so I have options.

If I do put it back under her, should I lay the polish/repaired side down in the bedding or leave it up?

I guess I’ll just have to watch what she does. It’s her first time hatching, so I have no idea what she’ll do. Though, I have an incubator running and another hen that’s broody, so I have options.

If I do put it back under her, should I lay the polish/repaired side down in the bedding or leave it up?

When you candle does the air cell dip on either side yet? If it does, that will likely be the side that the chick pips. The hen is going to shift around and the eggs will too though, so it won't matter, lol. There are many unknowns when hatching under a broody hen. :idunno I'm rooting for her! :fl

When you candle does the air cell dip on either side yet? If it does, that will likely be the side that the chick pips. The hen is going to shift around and the eggs will too though, so it won't matter, lol. There are many unknowns when hatching under a broody hen. :idunno I'm rooting for her! :fl
No, it hasn’t done that yet. I think I’ll risk it and put it under her tomorrow. She’s been good so far, but who knows what will happen. Will she be moving around much since she’s getting close to the end of incubation?

No, it hasn’t done that yet. I think I’ll risk it and put it under her tomorrow. She’s been good so far, but who knows what will happen. Will she be moving around much since she’s getting close to the end of incubation?

They do seem to go into a sort of trance right before hatch but she will still get up to take care of business and settle back down on top of the eggs. The hens will actually talk to the babies once they internally pip and start peeping. I usually keep a chick sized feeder and waterer right next to my broodies, if it's within reach the hen with stretch forward to eat and drink and show the hatched chicks how it's done without getting off the eggs that haven't hatched yet.

They do seem to go into a sort of trance right before hatch but she will still get up to take care of business and settle back down on top of the eggs. The hens will actually talk to the babies once they internally pip and start peeping. I usually keep a chick sized feeder and waterer right next to my broodies, if it's within reach the hen with stretch forward to eat and drink and show the hatched chicks how it's done without getting off the eggs that haven't hatched yet.
That sounds like a good idea, but I don’t think the box I have her in is big enough for a waterer and feeder. If it is, though, I’m worried about her spilling the water or something.

44622D39-79E7-4E62-A281-475A1AD44E3F.jpeg

we have an external pip!!

Can you put it just outside of her box? Within reach?
F513EA49-854A-4AF5-8FF2-2E295A9BB810.jpeg

This is what her box looks like. I might be able to find something small enough to hang on the edge…like something for a rabbit cage

edit: this is what I ended up getting
BA2D5084-AFBB-4F81-B96A-FA82724DDDEE.jpeg

0902C5C5-E94B-4DA3-8CCE-EB3AD1A52A74.jpeg

The bowl is small enough to fit in her box, I can always bury it into the hay & wood chips some. The waterer can be hung on the edge

Last edited:
A BABY HAS ARRIVED and there’s a few more that have externally pipped, but I didn’t get a good look at anything because I didn’t want her to see the chick yet or mess with her too much.

Anyways, it kind of looks like a silkie cross? It didn’t have 5 toes, though.

Attachments

• ED7811E8-9710-4C01-A637-C662B6B7ACCF.jpeg
    ED7811E8-9710-4C01-A637-C662B6B7ACCF.jpeg
    476 KB · Views: 7
  • 1F343A40-C026-403E-A961-04A9A4AF9B93.jpeg
    1F343A40-C026-403E-A961-04A9A4AF9B93.jpeg
    403.9 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom