Mystery eggs

bowlinggodess

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2017
Pittsboro , Indiana
I'm new to chickens this year and have been getting the same colored eggs for the summer but yesterday I got a new colored egg so I was wondering if maybe its a guniea egg . my gunieas and one duck are pinned with my chickens but my chicken can't get in my boxes so I assume maybe its a guniea egg ..
Anyone .. Can u tell me if the dirty white looking eggs a guniea eggs?View attachment 1170129

15090427467011359449889.jpg

They look more like a duck egg. My ducks first eggs were about the size of chicken eggs, but had that look to them. Guinea eggs have a pretty distinctive shape to them that I'm not really seeing here, and more around the size of bantie eggs. Try cracking them, Guinea eggs are like trying to crack open rocks, and duck shells seem to almost, peel apart, for lack of a better word, than break apart like a chicken egg. duck egg whites, are also very, very clear/white. This may help in trying to id them. Guinea eggs have the shape of Cadbury mini eggs candies.

They obviously aren't that color though haha!

Attachments

• DSC_5835.jpg
    DSC_5835.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 4
Definitely not guinea eggs. It is also very unlikely that any guineas would be laying in your location. It is not uncommon for young of the year guinea hens to start laying about now in southern states but not at all common in states of your latitude. Your guineas hens should not start laying until next spring. Guinea eggs are round on the big end and pointy on the small end and not normally more than 2" in length.

if those are the nesting boxes on the right, I don't see any reason why a duck wouldn't be able to get into them. they are pretty low. and ducks do fly...

I worded my post wrong my chicken boxes are up where I can't see my duck getting in it .. I did think it was duck at first until I realized it was in my homemade nesting boxes that I don't think my duck can get into

what kind of chickens do you have? Guinea eggs are usually about half the size of a large egg. These are almost the same, maybe even slightly bigger, that's why I lean duck. Most ducks are pretty good fliers to a degree. I guess it would depend on breed again.

Back
Top Bottom