Mystery Hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bjcoop, Feb 1, 2008.

1. bjcoop

bjcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    Western New York
    Here's my mystery hen out in the snow this week.

[​IMG]

She came in as an extra chick from my McMurray order. I thought she was some sort of maran, but here she is standing next to my cuckoo maran roo. Doesn't match at all. hmmm Any ideas?
    [​IMG]

--bjcoop (trying to pick this year's new chicks....)

Also, she lays the most beautiful brown eggs--almost seem to have a sheen to them....

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  2. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I don't know what she is other than very pretty.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    It looks like a Marans pullet to me. She has the right plumage and leg color. I'm just shocked you got a female as the "mystery chicken". As far as I know, this has never before occurred. They're always cockrels.

In all the barred and cuckoo birds, the males carry an additional gene for white barring over the females. So, a Barred Rock and Marans rooster will appear far more white than the females. Google some photos and you'll see what I mean.

4. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Can't quite tell from the pictures, but she looks like a GOLD Cuckoo Marans (feathersite has a side-by-side pic of Gold & Silver Marans) If that's the case then she is quite rare!

But then, the yellowish coloring I'm seeing may just be due to the light. I definitely think she's a Marans though, and lucky score on getting a hen!

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    OOOOHHH!!!!!!BABY MARANS!!!!!!YIPEEE!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG][​IMG]:love

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by