Mystery Illness

Rosto

Songster
12 Years
Dec 15, 2010
Alabama
Need help. Mystery illness. Yesterday I found a dead 12 week old Houdan roo. Today one of my pullets is lethargic, feels cold, and limps and then falls over. I have them with all my other chickens which are older and doing fine. Any ideas what this is and how to treat it.

Lab says..It’s not Avian Flu. Whew! Got the call that they are doing more testing to discover exactly what it is. I gave them all a Tylan 50 shot. No deaths and small improvement. Hopefully they will recover.
I think you probably meant to post on your other thread, but it's nice to get an update on this older one from last month as well.

Did this youngster get better, did you treat for coccidiosis?

What symptoms are you seeing in your flock=is it respiratory?

Did you know what Tylan50 can be given orally instead of by injection? You lessen the risk of injection site necrosis since the medication is given 3 times a day for 5 days.
Most that use Tylan50 to treat respiratory illness/infection, especially due to Mycoplasma give it a dose of 0.25ml per pound of weight orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.

Plumbs Vet Drug Manual gives dosing for Tylan as 10-40mg/kg given 3 times a day for 5 days.

Here's your other thread about your concern of Avian Influenza. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/avian-flu-possibly.1556865/page-2

Back
Top Bottom