Mystery Layer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sierra pachie bars, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    I have a mystery layer, Could this hen be giving me a Olive green egg ? She is seen in and around nesting box, not actually seen her lay it. I was told she layed brown, however all signs point to her. By Looks I would assume she would lay brown. [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am thinkin maybe not that hen... Could be but.... Olive green eggs come from easter eggers. I was gonna ask if you have an EE, but apparently you do! [​IMG]

She kinda looks like an EE.

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    could be... as her comb looks pea-combed to me, and apparently there is a very strong correlation with pea combs and the blue gene for egg laying, which, combined with the brown tint from RIR, would get you a green egg. COOL! I have what looks like a blue cochin, with a touch of a crest, which says she may have some silkie back there, and a pea comb as well as some brown little flecks in her feathers which screams out Ameraucana, and she lays the most delightful mint green egg, hence her name, "Minty"

4. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I agree with the above -- it's a gene that gives the green egg color, not necessarily the breed, so your hen could have that gene.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by