Mystery Peacock, anyone know what kind he is?

SunBaked

Songster
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Southwest
I have a 9 month old peacock and I'm not sure what he is. We adopted 2 peahens from a bird rescue and they had a white peacock in the pen with them. When I brought them home they laid eggs for a few days. I put them under my mom peahen that was sitting already and 2 of them hatched into him and a pure white girl. What do you guys think he is?

88718_birdpics_003.jpg

88718_birdpics_007.jpg

Haha, I saw one the other day and wished I could get one and here I had one the whole time. Couple questions about them. Will his wings turn all the way black with the irridescent colors on them do you think? Would it be ok to leave his white sister in the pen with him? And would the babies be black shoulder also? What about the babies with my IB peahens? Sorry about all the questions
hmm.png
, these are my first peacocks.

Quote:
Yeah it will be fine to leave him in with his sister. He still has around 2yrs until he is old enough to breed. His wings will turn all black and he will have irridescent coloring on them. Is his siter all white or does she have black and a gold ring around her neck? If she is not purebred blackshoulder then they won't be blackshoulder.

I am no expert but will try and do my best with the mutations, I reasearched peafowl aton and I still dont get the patterns but will try and give you my best guess
lol.png
When he is old enough to breed and he does breed your IB then the first generation would be blues then the second generation could be white and blue, but don't quote me because I get really confused when it comes to pattern mutations, and generations.

Thank you very much
smile.png
. I looked at some pattern/mutation pages and didn't much understand exactly what they were talking about. Here is a picture of his sister (I think she's a girl, she's shorter than him), she's pure white now. I think they are half IB since his mom looked just like my first peahen. Will his sister stay white?
88718_cut.jpg

Last edited:
He might be part India blue because black shoulder is a patter trait which exists together with a color trait. That color trait could be India blue or it could be some other color. You should try to get one of the experts to find out what color he has along with his black shoulder trait. Also you might get some black shoulder chicks if you bred him to his sister because white only covers up other colors so she could still carry the black shoulder gene and pass it on to he children, she would also pass the white gene on to offspring but it is recessive.

I'm going to try and tackle this from a genetics standpoint.

OK, so what I'm hearing is that there was one white male in with two females. You are not stating what the females look like (it would be very helpful if you did). I see a peahen in the pics, but I don't know if that is the mother. You hatched out two eggs which were laid by these two peahens, but you don't say if both eggs came from the same hen, or one from each. So these offspring could be full siblings or half-siblings. This throws another unknown into the equation. Well, here goes....

Black-shoulder is an autosomal recessive trait, which means that for a peacock to be black-shoulder, he must have two copies of this gene. He would inherit one copy from mom, and one copy from dad. We know that dad is white. White is a masking color, which means that if you removed the white genes, anything could be under there. If you had a Purple Black-shoulder and added two copies of the white gene, you'd have a white peacock. If you had a regular India Blue and added two copies of the white gene, you'd have a white peacock. So we don't know what dad is "under the white." However, if he has a son that is black-shoulder, we DO know that he has at least one copy of the black-shoulder gene. He could have two, but we don't know (based on the information you provided).

Mom would also have to have at least one copy of the black-shoulder gene. You did not say what color/pattern the hens are, so I don't know. If she had only one copy, she'd be split to black-shoulder. If she had two copies, she'd be black-shoulder herself (unless she's white, in which case you wouldn't be able to tell what else she was, other than white).

Now your other offspring you say is a white peahen. How do you know? If they are only 9 months old, I think the whites can't yet be sexed at that young of an age....but others will know better than I do in that area.

OK, regardless of sex, if she's white (as in, really white, and not just black-shoulder, which is "mostly white" in color, but not white genetically), then that means she has two copies of the white gene (one copy results in some white feathers, but not a totally white bird). She got one copy from dad (who you say was white) and one from mom (you haven't said what they look like, but based on having a white offspring, I'd guess that at least one of the hens has some white feathers). If the white hen and the black-shoulder peacock are full siblings (i.e., they came from the same mother), then the.............

ack, this is getting far too complicated.....

um, what do the peahens look like? And do you know if both eggs came from the same peahen? It'd be easier for me to answer this if I had that info....my brain is shot.....finals week.

:-/

C&Rman :

He is a yearling Blackshoulder male. Very pretty birds!

My yearling Blackshoulder males are much darker than this one, are you sure that's what he is??

Irene​

Back
Top Bottom