Mystery Peacock, anyone know what kind he is?

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I was too lazy to start a new one.

The bs yearling hen from the beginning of the thread has been turning colors the last few weeks and I wanted to see if she was still a she or a is she a he? Here are some new pictures of her. (pens are a little messy, been over 100 degrees so haven't raked them out this week yet)

88718_birdpics_192.jpg

88718_birdpics_188.jpg

88718_birdpics_191.jpg

And on another note I got a new pair (free
wee.gif
) this week I was hoping to get identification on. The female is a 3 year old India Blue but the other I'm not sure. I was told it was 1 1/2 year old and a male black shoulder pied spalding. They are in quarantine now but what female should I put with him if it's a him? I was going to put the other bs female (depending on if she is a she..) and the white female.

88718_birdpics_195.jpg

88718_birds.jpg

Here you can kinda see the white spots on the front and back of his/her neck and there is a pure white feather in his/her tail. He/she got a little ruffled during the move.
88718_birdpics_216.jpg

First is a blackshoulder male. The pair yes for India blue peahen, then the male does look like a spalding blackshoudler (some call it red buff spalding) he could be pied but he could just be dark pied which is split to pied meaning he would have some white flight feathers and the white on his throat. It is hard for me to tell because of his blackshoulder feathers having that white, but I am not so sure he is pied...I am not that great at telling all the time though so someone else might be more certain on him.
wink.png

Whoo hoo I was right about him being a male. And i have no clue what the other is, but good find. He is real pretty!

They have the white on them because they are young, the white will go away and the white on the wings will turn to black just making sure you know that...Young blackshoudler males are very pretty but will eventually end up looking like this, which is pretty too:
http://database.amyspeacockparadise.com/bsmaleonwindow.JPG

In fact in that picture you can see that the peacock still has a bit of white still on the wing, which he will lose. Just making sure you know that they won't stay that way.

I love black shoulders, I will be picking up a yearling one and a peahen in a couple of weeks and I just love how they have the same colored neck as IB but not the barred barring on the wings. Also the only reason I am getting another pair is becasue he will give me a free midnight peacock if you buy a pair. Minxfox where did you buy the plant that Damsel is setting under?

Ahh, these peas can be tricky. I kind of thought she might be a he when the neck feathers started to look more blue than green and Raja my IB kept chasing him. He has been chasing the white yearling (Snow) also so I really hope snow isn't a boy too. She acts like a hen though always following the bs yearling with her head down.

Glad the new ones are what I thought. They are very sweet and the girl (named Plain Jane like all my IB peahens The Janes) will let me pet her. The people who gave them to me lived in town and had to get rid of them because they would jump everyones fence in the neighborhood and walk right into the houses. Hard to have peas on the down low in the city when they are so friendly.

It would be cool if he were dark pied. I think he has white flights but they were cut really short by the old owners to try to keep him in the yard. He does have a pure white spot about midway down the back of his neck that is hard to see in these pictures and a pure white tail feather or 2 in the middle of his tail that aren't beige like the rest. Anyone know if his neck will stay green or turn blue and will those yellow cheek patches stay? Hmmm....now to name him.....

Last edited:
C&Rman :

I love black shoulders, I will be picking up a yearling one and a peahen in a couple of weeks and I just love how they have the same colored neck as IB but not the barred barring on the wings. Also the only reason I am getting another pair is becasue he will give me a free midnight peacock if you buy a pair. Minxfox where did you buy the plant that Damsel is setting under?

Wow a free midnight, that sounds like a good deal. You will have a beautiful collection. Can't wait to see pictures! I especially love blackshoulders. I'm so excited to have some and I can't wait for them to finish coloring out.

Btw, how is the wild bs hen you caught? Did she calm down and is the boy nice to her now?​

C&Rman :

The plant Damsel is setting under just grows wildly in the pen. It dies back in the winter but comes back really fast in the spring and mainly summer. It is called a lantana also known as Lantana camara, Red Sage, Shrub Verbena.
Here is a picture of the flowers on mine. It flowers about all summer and attracts lots of big butterflies.
Lantana.jpg

Here is a picture from last year with Ice under the lantana while it rains.
Iceescapingrain.jpg

This plant pops up randomly in the peafowl pen, I think because I water the pen a lot, and it is a poisonous plant, the seeds are poisonous and the leaves can cause skin irritation which I never have had a problem with and the peafowl don't eat anything off of the plant except for bugs. When it dies during the winter I thought it would re-sprout from the stems because they were still green but it just pops back up from the base of the plant so this year I will just cut back all the branches once they die. It grows really fast especially with water and the leaves seem to be bigger when the plant is in a shaded area. I really like this plant it turns into a good bush really fast but I just wish it could weather the cold because then the pen looks too bare.
roll.png

Wow that is a beautiful plant those flowers are very pretty! I am going to have to go on a bush hunt, I want anything that is really hidden to hopefully encourage mine to lay next year.
The wild BS peahen is doing good she calmed down allot, she will even come to the treats I throw in the pen at first she would stay on the perch and never come down mainly because the male. But now she is best friends with my white peahen, but I think she is picking my white peahens feathers ontop of her head because she has short little ones she used to have long white ones. The male is also treating her really well they all preen eachother and roost toghther and they are pretty much joined at the hip now. He has been trying to mate with her for so long but she just doesn't seem interested. Hopefully next year when I have all 6 of my peacocks I will get eggs.

I also have a egg delvolping in my incubator it is on day 20 and it is pretty black and has a big airbubble, hopefully it will hatch!

That plant is pretty and think I saw some at home depot the other day. I wonder if it would be okay in the chicken yard or if the silly things would eat it.
I love your pictures by the way. They always come out so crisp and clear.

Back
Top Bottom