Mystery Preadator Discoverd.... WOW

americanchicks

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Buckley, Wa
Hi all,
So a few days ago I posted about how not to ignore strange behavior with your flock. That I lost 3 hens in one day. The only thing left was feathers guts and feet 30 yards from the coop. Well I think I know the culprit.

Knowing that I have a predator killing hens I have been on alert. Keeping a close eye on the flock. Well the other night I scanned the yard with the high power flashlight. Looked over and the chickens and ducks, every thing looked good. I then noticed a noise coming from the front yard. I shone the flash light and there it was 30 yards from the house. Large, black as night, eyes reflecting green a black bear. I could hardly believe it. I ran inside to tell my hubby. He was able to see it as it took off into the woods. (I'm glad he saw it, its hard to believe)

I have not had any problems since we saw it. I hope we spooked it off. Hubby says its bear season for a couple more weeks. I for one hope I don't see it again. Anyone else have had issues with black bear? Are they repeat offenders?
It was cool seeing him I just wish it didn't cost me 3 beautiful hens.

Hi all,
So a few days ago I posted about how not to ignore strange behavior with your flock. That I lost 3 hens in one day. The only thing left was feathers guts and feet 30 yards from the coop. Well I think I know the culprit.

Knowing that I have a predator killing hens I have been on alert. Keeping a close eye on the flock. Well the other night I scanned the yard with the high power flashlight. Looked over and the chickens and ducks, every thing looked good. I then noticed a noise coming from the front yard. I shone the flash light and there it was 30 yards from the house. Large, black as night, eyes reflecting green a black bear. I could hardly believe it. I ran inside to tell my hubby. He was able to see it as it took off into the woods. (I'm glad he saw it, its hard to believe)

I have not had any problems since we saw it. I hope we spooked it off. Hubby says its bear season for a couple more weeks. I for one hope I don't see it again. Anyone else have had issues with black bear? Are they repeat offenders?
Wow! I have a black mama bear and cub hanging around because the neighbour didnt harvest any of their fruit trees. They haven't bothered with my chickens at all thankfully. So sorry you lost 3 hens.

Wow, I would have never guessed bear in your previous post! That is scary. My dad sees one around here about once a year but I never have. I tell him he's imagining things in his old age lol. Glad I just "finished" my barn renovations (still need to get some final stuff taken care of). I finally moved everyone in on Tuesday.

Do you have a game cam you can set up to see if it comes back? I hear hot wire works well for bears if it packs enough of a punch. Best of luck!!

WGI_0011.JPG
Hi all,

Bears are repeat offenders. We had a bear this summer that was only interested in our garbage bin. He would walk right past a group of 90 Cornish cross, huddled outside (protected by a electric poultry fence) and proceed to tip over the garbage bin, grab a bag and run towards the bush. He had 0 interest in the chickens. Maybe he tested the fence and felt the chickens weren't worth it.

Well, just cause you saw a bear doesn't mean that's what took your birds.
Not sure a bear could catch a free range chicken.
They are more likely to raid your wild bird feeder, your garbage can, or go after your chicken feed....which if it is in the coop they can tear things up to get at it.
Hot(really hot and baited with bacon) wire is the best bear deterrent.

Polar bears can eat 40% of their own body weight in just one sitting. Grizzly bears can eat 30% of their own body weight and I will assume a black bear can eat something like the % that a grizzly can consume. So yes black bears will return time and time again to get a chicken snack. BTW, black bares are the most likely bear to hunt and kill a human because of the hunger that the bear is experiencing. Don't sell black bears short because they have a rollypoly reputation. Black bears can run 50% faster than a human Olympic gold metal sprinter.

Well, just cause you saw a bear doesn't mean that's what took your birds.
Not sure a bear could catch a free range chicken....

On a trip through the Great Smokey Mountain National Park I was there when a black bear caught a deer in plain view of the parks visitors.

A well meaning pilgrim decided to rescue the deer from the clutches of Yogi.

Surprise, :smacka Bermuda short, Agile sox, and leather sandal wearing tourist is no match for an average sized black bear. This is especially true when the bear is guarding his food stash.

Bear: 1
Pilgrim: 0

Back
Top Bottom