Mystery Predator

eggsong

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 13, 2011
Went out last night to put the chickens up and found a huge pile of shavings in the corner of the coop. Dug through the shavings and found my Delaware and easter egger with what appeared to be broken necks. After looking around found the Light Bramaha roo under a cedar tree in the same condition. No feathers missing no evident bite marks. Dogs maybe?
Checked the game cam it must have been at the wrong angle.
Have permanently removed coons foxes and possums and the neighbors dog.
This one is a mystery. Please help.

Please help!!! What would kill chickens and bury them in the coop?

Buried? Fox do that, was probably taking the brahma back to its den and it was disturbed so dropped it and ran.

You can't permanently remove all the predators...you remove one and another will likely fill its place.

Thanks for the help. Have never seen this type of behavior. Seems the predators are getting braver by the minute. Really needed to have an idea of what to watch for. Will set more traps and keep the chickens locked down. Will electric fences slow down a fox?

An electric fence might work, for a while. I kept having chickens come up dead. Mine were half eaten, though. Ate the innards and the breast. I had it stopped, by reinforcing my coop and locking the chickens down at night. Then Friday, I forgot to close their door. Next morning, a dead rooster. Last night I closed their coop door, put a live trap in front and covered the trap. This morning I had the biggest possum I have ever seen. I dispatched it fairly quickly.
It sounds like a fox. I would try the live traps, figure out how it gets into the coop. Fortify your coop everywhere and set a trap at the only entrance.

This happened while the girls were out. Found the fatalities while locking up. Will keep a closer eye on the girls while they are out and let the GSD camp out with them for a while. Will be setting the trap tonight.
So sorry for your losses. It never seems to get any easier.

Will do. DH is mumbling, swearing and loading guns. Think he is pi--ed. LOL

So sorry for your losses.

Likely fox or coyote: http://www.raising-chickens.org/chicken-predators.html

Doubt you could trap either. We have seen both on occasion even in morning or early afternoons, so nite is not the only time of concern. And once they know the chickens are there, they will surely come back.

I agree with your husband, I would feel the same way. Do whatever you have to & protect your chickens. Consider perimeter fencing with no climb and no dig features.

The run is fully enclosed with welded wire, the top too. I thought that was over kill until I the hawk landed on it. The GSD is on guard ,DH is sitting in a tree stand still mumbling and swearing. I have the trap ready to go. Hope this one is over soon.
I think the most confusing thing for me is the burying of the hens in shavings in the coop. That is bravery gone way to far on the predator's part.

Back
Top Bottom