Mystery Quilt/ New Year's Day

verthandi

Songster
12 Years
May 18, 2007
Maine
I know everyone is busy with Holiday plans, but I thought I would post this now and see if there was any interested in working on a mystery quilt together on BYC on New Year's Day.

About.com has done one for the past 3 years. In the next week or so they will post fabric requirements. Many times they can be made from scraps. Hourly directions are posted regarding the next sewing steps to take. You will not know what the quilt will look like until it is finished. The quilt is planned to be a one day project. (I am not associated with about.com, I just have done the mystery quilt each year.) http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpatternsprojects/ss/2011-New-Years-Day-Mystery-Quilt-Pattern.htm

I
would love to have others to share New Year's Day with and post here about how our quilt is coming along. Any interest?

Fabrics for my quilt. The funky geometric doesn't meet the guidelines, but oh well. There's a black on black on the far right that tried to dodge the photograph.

2200_newyearsquilt1_001.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I know what you mean. I keep checking to see if they have put the yardage up yet, and they haven't. They are usually lap size with an option to make them larger. (usually they give a scrappy option too.) I'm sure I have enough of something to make one on New Year's Day, so I will being sewing anyway. Would love company if any of you decide to join in.

That sounds like so much fun! I would have to crate my new pup/adolescent dog for the entire time to do that, though. He howls for a long time when crated, too. He is the worst behaved and most destructive dog I have ever known. I have had to stop all crafting since he moved in.
hit.gif

I hope you all have a lot of fun, though! I hope you all post pictures later. I can admire them, while trying not to go completely insane.
he.gif

I found a rough idea for the fabric requirements on the about.com forum.

I am sure she will update them to the page soon.

Mystery quilt fabric guidelines:

Quilt yardages for a 50 x 70 quilt, backing and binding not included

YARDAGES ARE GENEROUS

All prints will work best, avoid solids

Colors are mentioned only to help explain contrast; your "dark" could be a fabric that might typically be regarded as "medium" -- it's all about how fabrics contrast with each other when placed side-by-side

avoid directionals (except for scrappy quilts and the multicolor print)

Very dark print -- can be black with a small amount of neutral 1-1/4 yards

Another very dark, but with warm color prints (print itself can be a dark warm: 1-1/4 yards

Medium neutral-to-slightly warm -- 3/4 yard

Medium dark, like a tan or a brown - 1 yard

Multicolor print, not huge scale but not tiny, blends somewhat with others (doesn't jump out and hit you in the face) 1 yard
(I'm going to pick this one first then figure out the other colors to go with it.)

Deepest red/maroon print 3/4 yard

Dark blue, cool 1 yard

BUT CONSIDER THIS

Your quilt will (and should) look very different. That's part of the fun with a mystery. So choose fabrics you like that will also work together in the yardages above. Nothing should be a huge scale print but prints should vary in scale. At least a few should "read" as solids.

Use my "warm" and "neutral" and "cool" designations if you like -- or NOT

It's difficult to give guidelines for a mystery quilt, and this one's a bit varied. So choose what you like and have fun with it.

You can also go very scrappy if you prefer.

Last edited:
I'm not saying I'm in, Im working on something that needs to be done by March (cough cough CoyoteMagic) and by gosh I'm going to get it done before that but...............................
If it's a one day thing I may try it.

haha Ginbart, I haven't started that project either.

here are my choices for this project
31900_dsc02227.jpg

verthandi, I think we have similar tastes, and I also did not completely fallowthe rules, they are laid out in the order of requirements

Quote:
I do believe we could go fabric shopping together and do just fine.
smile.png
I like the colors that you are using together.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom