Mystery Roosters... can you help? (UPDATED WITH MORE PICTURES)

Ummm... is that Black Andalusian crowing and mounting the hens, because it looks like a HEN! Big floppy comb, no pointy saddle or hackle feathers. Yup, that's a hen.

That's what I was thinkin!​

Dang It!!!! now I want a red laced cornish and a butterup roo....
th.gif

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much for the information! Duh, I feel silly thinking the black one was a rooster. She was introduced to me as a rooster and I didn't think to double check. I called my friend up and she said that the other roosters were hopping on top of the black "rooster". So, he's a she... and a Black Andalusian. Hey, it's nice my friend actually has a pair besides the Langshans!

Now I'm nervous about my "roosters"... please tell me these are roos and not hens...

roos1.jpg

roos2.jpg

roos3.jpg

They are about 10 weeks old and none crow yet.

Nancy

Oh, I'm so glad they aren't hens. I'm slowly getting rid of them. I originally had 20 some Moyer's chicks (straight run, and assume that 10 were roos). Then, I ordered 13 misc chicks from MMcMurray along with a "Rooster Special" of 25 cockerals. Long story short, I had 54 some birds and I divided them into 2 groups of 27 with all the "roos" in one coop ... I did have 3 light brahmas in with the roos. Well, a fox got through the wire on the one coop and killed the roosters. I found 21 of them and never recovered 6. So, I still have my layers and about 10 more roosters that you saw in the photos. I think most of them are from Moyers, but I'm not sure. The ones that look like light brahmas don't have fuzzy feet... and I found the 3 dead brahmas... and bought more as these were my son's favorites.

Long story short, I don't think they're brahmas, but could they be some other kind? They have clean legs , some have brown marks (Moyer's?) and the others have cream on top and white everywhere else. I think they are starting to lose feathers as they're all over the place in the coop. When do roosters start getting pretty feathers anyway?

Nancy

That pen full of roosters looks to be possibly red sexlink roos, at least they're similar. They are mostly white with reddish areas on the wingtops. Check out this photo of a red sexlink roo:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/AmberCkl.JPEG
They start getting hackles and saddle feathers, at least long streamer ones, around 16 weeks old, if I recall.

Back
Top Bottom