mystery sickness?

cluckin tractor

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 6, 2010
australia, nsw, riverena
i have a hen in my 11 bird flock that has a deep red floppy comb, little fat and you can feel the bones under the feathers quite distinctivley, low movements and not fast, makes not happy sounds, not good balance on perches, sits in the same spot and does not bother moving. they had green feed last week and i'm not shure if it dug in yesterday. a mixture of barley, wheat and laying pellets. water clean and food not mouldy.

could be the hen that failed to raise chicks as i released it yeserday from brooding eggs becaues it had enough. maybe it has been recovering but i doubt it. plenty of grain to eat but refuses and does not bother to run away when atempting to pick upwormed a few months ago and they all have calcuim.

the hen would be about 2-3 years old and is a ok layer. bedding is sligltly moist but only at the surface. backside all dirtie but has got digested poo not runny substance. other hens are a ok.

i think the symptons have shown today as i did not notice it yesterday. sick chick was vaccinated at hatchery but not shure if it has coccasidis

happened a few years ago one hen died in her first year showing the general symptons. but died later

she is isolated with grain and chick crumbles for easy eatin with water

info would be greatly appreciated

It's hard to say what you might be dealing with there. If i were you, i would look into impacted or sour crop and separately egg laying problems. My bookmarks aren't working, so i can't give you the specific links, but if you'll search for impacted and sour crop, you'll get lots of good threads with good information.

it is too lat the morning after my first post i found it dead its head in a curled mode and feet flat as if it had collpased on its head.
that makes my flock a flock of 10 now it was a good hen

does anyone no any thing as i'm baffled

i have read that chickens can die out of the random

Sorry bout the loss.

There are so many things that can cause them to go down hill with sort of wishy washy symptoms.

Cocci
Worms
Botulisum
Internal Laying
Marek's
Lympoid Leukosis
Mites
Internal infections
Heart problems
Large Liver disease

A necropsy is really helpful if vet service can be had for it thats good but if not it can be largly accomplished DIY and is a very good learning tool. May seam sicko to cut open the bird after it's death but it is likely the best way to learn what happened and give you more knowledge to treat and diagnose troubles in the future.

If I understand correctly, sounds like she was sitting on eggs for awhile? For how long and was she eating/drinking well during that time? The thing is, usually (not always [e.g. heart attack], but usually) there are signs of illness before the fateful day. If you are able to get necropsy done, it will hopefully shed light and help you spare others in the future.
JJ

Sorry to hear about your loss cluckin tractor. Be sure to keep an eye out on the others in case your girl didn't die because of her broodiness.

a cut open and examine guts now would be a vomit in the bucket
sickbyc.gif
becuse it is well over a week dead at the bottom of the hole. i think that a another hen maybe showin the same symptons but not entirely shure.
clay valley farmer's list is already half ruled and she had plenty to eat and drink.

i'm not shure if it was the broody hen

thanx 4 the posts

still looking 4 more info

Back
Top Bottom