Mystery Symptoms: Ear Infection or Gapeworm?

May 29, 2019
When I was closing up the coop this evening, I noticed that one of my hens (a 13 month old ISA Brown) was repeatedly yawning, shaking her head, and itching her head--pretty dramatically. She kept at it for a while. I just went back out to see if it has subsided but she was still intermittently doing those things. I did notice head shaking a couple days ago (she was holding her head low, shaking it and walking backwards like she was trying to get rid of a sensation) but it was brief and happened right after I hosed the flock down. Now I'm wondering if it was the start of something.

So, what could this be? The rare but dreaded gapeworm? An ear infection? Ear mites? Something else? This feisty lady survived heat stroke and was diagnosed with a heart murmur in her first year of life--yet she's bounced back like a champ--and I'm really rooting for her staying strong! Any advice is much appreciated.

When I was closing up the coop this evening, I noticed that one of my hens (a 13 month old ISA Brown) was repeatedly yawning, shaking her head, and itching her head--pretty dramatically. She kept at it for a while. I just went back out to see if it has subsided but she was still intermittently doing those things. I did notice head shaking a couple days ago (she was holding her head low, shaking it and walking backwards like she was trying to get rid of a sensation) but it was brief and happened right after I hosed the flock down. Now I'm wondering if it was the start of something.

So, what could this be? The rare but dreaded gapeworm? An ear infection? Ear mites? Something else? This feisty lady survived heat stroke and was diagnosed with a heart murmur in her first year of life--yet she's bounced back like a champ--and I'm really rooting for her staying strong! Any advice is much appreciated.
Did you take a look at her?

Gather her up - look in her ears for lice/mites or infection. Check her crop to make sure it's empty in the morning before she eats/drinks. Look inside her beak for obstruction, a string/hair, lesions or canker.

The walking backwards sounds neurological - what are you feeding her (including treats)?
If you notice the behavior again - try to get a video - upload to youtube and provide a link.

Does this hen still lay eggs?

It wouldn't hurt to give her some poultry vitamins that contain E and B1(Thiamine) for 2-3 days.

My first guess would be mites, have you checked your coop, in all the crevices/places where two pieces of wood meet for little moving dots?
I checked her coop tonight but didn't see anything. That said, I have an inkling it could be mites because she seemed way less agitated when I took her in the basement hospital coop this evening to sleep. In her sister coop (where a few other chickens stay), I did see some tiny red bugs when cleaning it out--should I treat them all for mites? Anything low stress due to the heat?

Did you take a look at her?

Gather her up - look in her ears for lice/mites or infection. Check her crop to make sure it's empty in the morning before she eats/drinks. Look inside her beak for obstruction, a string/hair, lesions or canker.

The walking backwards sounds neurological - what are you feeding her (including treats)?
If you notice the behavior again - try to get a video - upload to youtube and provide a link.

Does this hen still lay eggs?

It wouldn't hurt to give her some poultry vitamins that contain E and B1(Thiamine) for 2-3 days.
I haven't seen her do the backwards walk/head shake since that day and it was right after she had been hosed down (so I'm hoping it's a one-off). I don't see signs of mites in her ears and her crop felt empty this morning. Appetite is good. I didn't notice odd behavior today, and I have her sleeping in the basement coop for some relief. What's the best way to deal with a mite problem? I suspect that could be it...

I haven't seen her do the backwards walk/head shake since that day and it was right after she had been hosed down (so I'm hoping it's a one-off). I don't see signs of mites in her ears and her crop felt empty this morning. Appetite is good. I didn't notice odd behavior today, and I have her sleeping in the basement coop for some relief. What's the best way to deal with a mite problem? I suspect that could be it...
For mites you can use Permethrin. Check your Tractor supply they should have Permethrin 10 concentrate which is economical, will last a long time and will treat many times. Mix according to directions on the bottle, treat her and her housing.

Back
Top Bottom