Chicken ears with yellow gunk

Kmcatx

Chirping
Feb 26, 2022
Hi, I have a 3 year old hen who has been having ear problems for several months. She shakes her head and does yawning motion. I first noticed the feathers around her ears were crusty. Now sometimes she has sticky yellow stuff in her ears. Any thoughts? Infection? I’m getting close to taking her to the vet.
I’ve been cleaning out her ears for 2-3 months. Sometimes it’s worse than other times. Tried anti-fungal, Monistat, antibiotic ointment and ear mite treatment. Other than the ears she seems healthy.
Any thoughts are welcome! Thanks.
FE40DB69-F537-47A1-91E4-C49E5A072B6A.jpeg
910BE928-8DCB-41E1-B3AB-EEFCBAAF7C4B.jpeg
447F78C1-6D92-447A-B362-A8F06EE29DC6.jpeg

I would get the vet to take a swab to culture it, and see if it is bacterial or fungal. Different bacteria require an antibiotic that would be specific for that bacteria.

Thank you! That’s what I was thinking when I woke up this am. I tried some amoxicillin but maybe not best route. I’ll consult with vet and take advantage of having that option. Cheers

Thanks for update!! Don't always get 'em ;-) so thank you!! Yea- that she's all better!!😍 Great photos too!

Man, I guess I got LUCKY ??? as my girl had WAY worse crust (down her neck and under her beak even) and a few drops of miticide (for kitties/dogs) got rid of it immediately- I did nothing else so assume it was that! ?! :idunnoI'm only 3 yrs into this!! and their ears are still a bit of a mystery to me!!

Also- it wasn't just up around her ear like this- so maybe her swollen ear was coincidental... (wrote about it on another thread about ear issues as someone mentioned mites in the ears- I had never even considered that despite having always had kittens who seem to be BORN with them (ear mites), eh?! 🤣 (think subconscious was what led me to try what I'd ordered for first aid kit out of habit...)

Man- chickens sure do seem quite "fragile"...may be a bit of an exaggeration-but nursing at least 2 sick ones again now... so may "jade" my vision!

Good to know though, what the vet prescribed for that particular problem, as it's looking like that's not an option here for me... so I'm gathering intel ;-) Also freaking out just a bit about June 11th and trying to decide what to get to have on hand- though that ship may have sailed as so many 'shops' are out of just about everything! Guess everyone already started to "hoard"...What a complicated, difficult situation though- sorry to even mention it! But it IS why I'm here....

[[DEF not advocating what I did BTW!!! Just happened to help me when someone else mentioned ear mites- in another post- so... wondering if they're often an issue with chickens or is it usually bacterial- ear infection?? (guess one can come from the other so may be a stupid question...) Sorry! 😘]]

Follow up for others who might have similar issue — vet tested and confirmed ear infection. Now she is on antibiotics (Sulfamethoxazole / Trimethoprim). Hopefully that does it!
Thought I would ask on behalf of my rooster who is annoyed with a similar issue - did you have to take your bird in to get the test & perscription, or were they willing to test a dropped off sample of the ear gunk?

Was the perscription difficult to administer to your bird, and did it clear up the issue? Hope she is all better!

Back
Top Bottom