Mystery: What's Wrong with the girls?! WORRIED; please be patient with the length

goodeggsforyou

Songster
12 Years
Feb 10, 2011
Walla Walla, WA
Hi All. After 3 years of a healthy flock I think something's wrong but really have no idea what and am worried for them. Just had to put our beloved dog to sleep. Don't want them to not be ok too!!
About 2 weeks ago I noticed they were eating little feed and attributed it to them being out all day and eating grasshoppers (which we have a HUGE amount of this year.) Then noticed Very small, green bugs on the feeder. When I moved the feeder to change out the food and clean/bleach it, the bugs were no longer there after I moved it, and one of the chickens came and ate from the feeder. I felt we were ok and moved it back into the coop. Later, my husband said he saw the small green bugs on himself and that they were flying. They were so small I thought they might be mites but after what he said and the fact that the chickens haven't been scratching themselves at all and look "good", again, I figured we were ok and put the feeder back. One of the chickens has been slow to follow to the coop at night for routine scratch and treats; she's usually a bit slower though. Have had to coax her in. Tonight, one of the others was not following either (and she always aggressively does) As I followed them to get them to the coop, the one who is our most timid and hates to be touched let me touch her twice and still moved slow. This is UNHEARD of for her! I'm Seriously worried! They are hardly interested in their scratch! Only one is. Last, I may as well mention the odd behavour a couple time so them standing in a corner in the coop facing out instead of eating their treats. Any ideas or help...please...would be so greatly appreciated. I'll post elsewhere too.

You'll get better replies in a minute, but initial thoughts:

1. Little green flying bugs don't sound bad, per se. This part doesn't trouble me off the cuff
2. Great that they aren't itching/preening tons but I'd do a mite check asap anyway just to rule it in or out. Check inside the coop too, after dark--wipe perches with a damp clean rag and look for blood smears
3. What do you normally feed/brand, including treats?
4. Is it time for a molt yet? How do their feathers look?
5. Are you getting eggs?
6. What's the weather like recently?
7. Get some poop pictures/poke around for signs of blood or anything odd that could indicate worms
8. You may want to check crops first thing in the morning -- everyone should be flat and empty to rule out crop issues

Back
Top Bottom